Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2x4 trusses and weight

I am a contractor in Illinois, I have recently started on a new project converting a garage into part of the house. I first raised up the floor and and framed in walls. The problem I have run into now is that the home owner wants to leave the plywood celing that is currently hanging in what used to be the garage and wants to just put drywall over the top of it. The problem is she is 24 inch on center 2x3 trusses and it is a 26x28 addition which is around another 1500 pounds that would be added in weight. I was not sure if the trusses would support the new 5/8s drywall or not. Or Should I explain to the owner will either have to remove it or reinforce the trusses up above. Any information would be nice thanks in advance.

youngcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

2x4 trusses and weight

What did your engineer say? Building inspector?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

2x4 trusses and weight

See if the trusses are stamped with the bottom cord dead load rating. Sometimes they are stamped or have little flags with the engineering info.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

2x4 trusses and weight

Generally speaking, unless you can find a dead load stamped on the truss and calculate from there, you need to remove the plywood. Trusses are designed for the application they are ordered for, usually never bought "off the yard" like 2X4's, and unless they were spec'ed for higher loads, the truss companies make some assumptions...24" on center and 5/8 rock. While placing the rock on the plywood would probably not be an issue, I could see it sagging over time. Also, there would not be any practical way to reinforce the trusses for the weight. As a note, and not to be critical, building inspectors are not big on contractors playing engineer.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote