Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

2x4 cabin, what can these walls handle?

Hello. I just acquired a fixer upper. I am starting a major remodel. This structure is somewhat different from conventional framing I worked on.

The house is 24 x 48 ft rectangle. Walls are 2x4 with 16 oc. Siding is T1-11. Roof is common truss with 2/12 pitch and asphalt shingle. Inner walls seem to be all non-load-bearing. Foundation is poured cement footing all around perimeter (no cracks), with 4x8 columns through the middle of the house.

Question 1: All inner walls seem to be framed under ceiling drywall/popcorn, and stand on top of floor linoleum. See pictures attached. Is this a safe assumption that because of these clueless all these walls are non-load-bearing, even if they used one 4x6?

Question 2: Theoretically, in such truss rectangular house, and with such walls, can I remove all inner walls and end up with one 24x48 room? (I am NOT going to do that due to practical reasons. I understand added sheer strength because of inner walls. This is no-wind and seismic-stable area.)

Question 3: What can these 2x4 walls handle if I want to think of upgrading to 12/12 attic truss or even building a second floor?

Thanks,
ilya
Attached Thumbnails
2x4 cabin, what can these walls handle?-house2.jpg   2x4 cabin, what can these walls handle?-4x6-closeup.jpg   2x4 cabin, what can these walls handle?-4x6-inner.jpg  

Ilyae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

please put your location in. it looks like you might have load bearing walls were the 4x6 is. Also if your going to tear open that ceiling get it checked for asbestos first. those pop corn ceilings were famous for that.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

Location is Pollock Pines, CA. Elevation of the house is 3250 ft (so there is some snow load). House was built in 1973 (asbestos test pending).

Last edited by Ilyae; 04-08-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
DIY staff

Pictures of the trusses are needed ----2/12 trusses are often rather weak for snow loads---

get the truss design ---that will help. And the spacing----

Also--the outer walls--are they framed 16" on center? If so--it is very likely that the roof could be removed and a second floor added.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

The framing is sufficient to either add second floor or new roof. the problem may be the foundation isn't. needs an engineer to tell us that.

The thing is if you build a second floor you will need a beam of some kind in the middle to support the floor joists, which in turn will require some new posts in to the foundation.

It is not a simple process, but doable.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #6

Hate to busrt your bubble you live in CA and your in earth quake country. may be seismic zone D4 just to let you know maybe zone 3 if you are lucky. Also I would be making a defensive parameter around your home removing some of them trees so if or when a wild fire happens your place does not burn to the ground.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
if you build a second floor you will need a beam of some kind in the middle to support the floor joists
Yes, thanks reminding me. For this reason I am interested (for now) only in truss structures over existing exterior walls.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Hate to busrt your bubble you live in CA and your in earth quake country. may be seismic zone D4 just to let you know maybe zone 3 if you are lucky.
Yes, I understand. Sources state "Pollock Pines-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below California state average. It is 634% greater than the overall U.S. average." It is a different (much more stable) area compared to my house in San Francisco right near major fault lines.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

yes I live and work in a zone 3 and all remodels like that I have to have retro fit to seismic requirements and we have way less earth quakes then you guys. I just thought i would let you know. that is gutting and redoing. but I would still get rid of the trees around my home. and clean up the pine needles. big time fire hazard

Tags
2x4 wall, external wall, load bearing beam, truss