Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |

2x12 header

I have a living room wall 16 feet long I want to take out 12 feet. What size header do I need and can I take out existing studs without supporting the single story roof? thanks Larry

ljblain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

2x12 header

First you have to find out if this is a supporting wall.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

2x12 header

You need a lot more info. Do you have a basement? Where will the studs and trimmers for the header fall, will the be supported by more than the subfloor?What will hold up the roof while you do the work? Any pics?
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

2x12 header

When you say single story do you mean like a ranch? If it is, does this wall go lengthwise to the house, (right angle to rafters)? If it does it probably is a bearing wall. If so, is it over a girder in the cellar, (or on a slab)? You may need to build a temporary wall each side to support the ceiling joists. It would be best to use an engineered header, they are stronger. Where your supporting jacks go you will need to block between girder and the subfloor directly under those two point loads. The roof load is almost entirely on the exterior walls, but if you feel unsure you can prop it from the joists directly over the temp walls on the first floor. This is just typical of a ranch style house. without pictures or more info, this is just info to begin evaluating with. Remember, if in doubt, DON'T!
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

2x12 header

Honestly Ijblain,

When it comes to something structural like you're describing, you may want to have someone you know who is in the trade to stop by and look it over. There is much to consider when taking out supporting structure.

We may be here for a while trying to get all the right answers to your questions.

Regardless, I would suspect that after a clear assessment from a local pro, you'll be installing an LVL type header
that is of course it is a support/bearing wall.

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"

Last edited by CrossWorks; 05-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

2x12 header

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljblain
I have a living room wall 16 feet long I want to take out 12 feet. What size header do I need and can I take out existing studs without supporting the single story roof? thanks Larry
What makes you think someone can give you an answer? Is this a guessing game?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

2x12 header

if you have any questions, stop and call an engineer.I have a 13 ft wall that I just took out and the engineer that I hired charged me 300 dollars to tell what I needed. I had to put a 14 x3.75 micro lam beam in mine with 3 cripple studs on each side. be safe and get it looked at if there is any doubt.

msmith5554 is offline   Reply With Quote