2nd Story Covered Balcony - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

2nd Story Covered Balcony

The roof extends out from the 1st story of a 2 story home about 5 feet (the house is about 20 ft in width). I would like to build a 2nd story covered balcony there. What would be involved in the construction and how much would it approximately cost?

Thanks.

Advertisement

hammermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Some pictures would be good.

The short answer is you can do anything with construction as long as you obey the laws of physics and follow standard construction guidelines.

The first thing you need to know is this a major project and if it is a DIY you better be good at construction.

The second thing is you need to do a detailed assessment of the current structure and see if the roof extension is strong enough to handle the weight. My guess would be that it isn't.

There are other ways to get this done other than building it on the roof extension but this is even more complex and as it said, unless you are a very experienced DIY'er this would be the domain of a pro.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #3

I wouldn't build the balcony directly on the extension considering that it is sloped - but would probably be something on top of it. (Sorry, I forgot to initially disclose that!)

Also, I am definitely not a experienced DIYer. I know some people who are pretty good at it though. I would either employ them or get a contractor for the job. I am just curious as to what is involved - especially financially.

Any way, here is a pic of the back of the house:
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Well you could extend the addition out over the lower roof and use post and beam to hold it up. Should have an engineer draw it up.

Cost if you farm it out could be 20k or so. I don't do those kind of estimates and could be way off, I doubt I am that far off, but it has been a while since I have done a job like that one.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

Great. Thanks for the estimate. It at least gives me a ballpark figure to consider.