2nd Floor Laundry (converting Closet) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2nd Floor Laundry (converting Closet)

I have 5W x 6L closet that I am going to make into a laundry. I can get drain and water their easily.

What I am worried about is the vibrations of a front loader hurting the structure of my house or cause damage to rooms below. There is 3/4 plywood as the subfloor.

Would anti vibration pads or feet be sufficient or do I need to add another layer of plywood plus pads?

I will be making the floor Tile and have drain in the floor incase of water leaking or machine failure.

How do I keep the high frequency vibrations from hurting the rest of the house?

my front loader that I have not doesn't walk or move when it runs. I had it on a first floor before we moved at never had problems. The first floor had a tile floor with 3/4 plywood subfloor. No joist reenforcement.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Smahoney6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

There is nothing structural that would be damaged by the machine vibration. You shouldn't worry about popping sheetrock nails. They do that by themselves, and they are easy repairs.

I am not clear on the condition of your tile floors, but I would lay down another 3/4 ply floor, glue and screw, and treat the whole room as a shower floor (anti leak membrane), before using it as a laundry.

Stiffening is for tile or grout because of extra weight of the machines, and membrane is extra insurance.

Advertisement

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

I haven't installed the tile floor yet. My plan was to put down 3/4 hardi board on tip of the existing plywood. Put the paint on liquid water proof and tile. Do you think I need an additional 3/4 plywood?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

1/4" Durrock or Hardi is all you need--that product has no structural value---

If you are concerned about the sub floor strength---add an additional layer of BC plywood--1/2" should be sufficient.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice.

I am not that concerned with nail pops, as they are already poping (1993 house). I like to replace the pops with screws anyway.

You think I should be concerned with the seems?

Thanks again.

Tags
2nd floor , laundry , reenforce