DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

2nd Floor Laundry (converting Closet)

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Smahoney6 
#1 ·
I have 5W x 6L closet that I am going to make into a laundry. I can get drain and water their easily.

What I am worried about is the vibrations of a front loader hurting the structure of my house or cause damage to rooms below. There is 3/4 plywood as the subfloor.

Would anti vibration pads or feet be sufficient or do I need to add another layer of plywood plus pads?

I will be making the floor Tile and have drain in the floor incase of water leaking or machine failure.

How do I keep the high frequency vibrations from hurting the rest of the house?

my front loader that I have not doesn't walk or move when it runs. I had it on a first floor before we moved at never had problems. The first floor had a tile floor with 3/4 plywood subfloor. No joist reenforcement.

Thanks.

#2 ·
There is nothing structural that would be damaged by the machine vibration. You shouldn't worry about popping sheetrock nails. They do that by themselves, and they are easy repairs.

I am not clear on the condition of your tile floors, but I would lay down another 3/4 ply floor, glue and screw, and treat the whole room as a shower floor (anti leak membrane), before using it as a laundry.

Stiffening is for tile or grout because of extra weight of the machines, and membrane is extra insurance.

#4 ·
1/4" Durrock or Hardi is all you need--that product has no structural value---

If you are concerned about the sub floor strength---add an additional layer of BC plywood--1/2" should be sufficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.