DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   26' Steel I Beam (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/26-steel-i-beam-92006/)

jjohnson112 01-11-2011 03:05 PM

26' Steel I Beam
 
I'm planning to add on a 12' by 26' room addition to the end of my house going out over the driveway. I will be spanning the entire width of the driveway with a 26' steel beam. There can't be any supports in the middle of the beam because of the drive, and the beam can only be 12" tall for vehicle clearance. It is a gable end, so the beam will not be supporting much roof load. What size beam should I go with?

Jackofall1 01-11-2011 03:12 PM

If the beam is at the bottom it is supporting a minimum of 1/2 of the total load, which will include the roof.

Where do you live?

What is holding up the rest of the addition ie outside walls?

What type soil for foundation?

Even with these answered you will definately require an engineer to survey the site and do total load calculations.

I could tell you what size beam, but that is only a small part of the picture. What about posts and foundations.

gregzoll 01-11-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjohnson112 (Post 567938)
I'm planning to add on a 12' by 26' room addition to the end of my house going out over the driveway. I will be spanning the entire width of the driveway with a 26' steel beam. There can't be any supports in the middle of the beam because of the drive, and the beam can only be 12" tall for vehicle clearance. It is a gable end, so the beam will not be supporting much roof load. What size beam should I go with?

What did the arcitect & structural engineer state on the plans that they drew up if they have?

Mr Chips 01-11-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackofall1 (Post 567942)
I could tell you what size beam, but that is only a small part of the picture. What about posts and foundations.

then why not just answer the question? Would it be so difficult to say something like " the minimum size is X", but this will vary based on factors such as snow load, wind load, foundation, blah, blah, blah....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 567961)
What did the arcitect & structural engineer state on the plans that they drew up if they have?

they told him they have no idea, go consult the annoymous internet experts. Maybe the guy is just trying to work out a rough materials list to see if he can afford the project before he spends the money to have plans drawn up.

Geez guys, it's his first post, he's asking a pretty specific question, if you don't want to help, don't, but you don't need to jump all over every poster that you believe is going to do unpermitted work from plans he sketched up on the back of a budwieser coaster

nap 01-11-2011 04:51 PM

the problem is;

there is no; it's a beam this big and this thick.

It varies with every question asked and the inference with gregzoll's post is:

You need an engineer to determine this for you using all the variables involved.

Mr Chips 01-11-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 567989)
It varies with every question asked and the inference with gregzoll's post is:

You need an engineer to determine this for you using all the variables involved.

I understand that. But isn't your response a better answer to give a brand new member asking his very first question?maybe i'm just having a bad day, but it seems the first answer was" i can tell you but i won't" and the second seemed passive-aggressive.

it seems like a growing trend of this site is to ridicule those brave enough to ask questions

gregzoll 01-11-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips

I understand that. But isn't your response a better answer to give a brand new member asking his very first question. maybe i'm just having a bad day, but the first answer was i can tell you but i won't and the second seemed passive-aggressive.

it seems like a growing trend of this site is to ridicule those brave enough to ask questions

It is about liability. If a person was to give a answer without knowing all of the variables involved, and Bubba decided that was correct, whuch it is not, the responsibility falls back on the person who answered with improper information.

In other words, no one wants to claim this responsibility when bubba goes out and orders said I beam, then their house falls in. At that point all parties become responsible for bad information, and unsafe practices.

Engineering something like this, is not something that some Joe on the Internet can answer.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 05:28 PM

Once again, this is a public forum. When anyone posts a question, they can expect to receive any type of answer from anyone out there.
As moderators, we try to keep the negative comments to a minimum, but it's not always possible to catch them all. If you see anyone being rude or insulting, etc., please just report them so we can do our jobs and continue to make this a fun, friendly, family-oriented forum.

Thanks Guys!

DM

Joe Carola 01-11-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips (Post 568007)
I understand that. But isn't your response a better answer to give a brand new member asking his very first question?maybe i'm just having a bad day, but it seems the first answer was" i can tell you but i won't" and the second seemed passive-aggressive.

it seems like a growing trend of this site is to ridicule those brave enough to ask questions

The growing trend on this site is that people ask an impossible question that cannot be answered like what size beam to use for a 26' span on the internet and people are dumb enough to give sizes out with such a big beam. None here can possibly answer that question. The best advise and safest advise is to recommend to the poster to have a professional give them the size because.....a professional IS the only one who can give them the size beam to use, NOT someone on the internet......it's that simple.

I don't care what you say, no one here can answer what size beam this guy needs.

Quote:

Geez guys, it's his first post, he's asking a pretty specific question, if you don't want to help, don't, but you don't need to jump all over every poster that you believe is going to do unpermitted work from plans he sketched up on the back of a budwieser coaster
90% of the time it's true. When you ask them about permits and inspections some say they are not getting them and the others never come back.

Why don't we let the OP come back and tell us that he is having plans drawn up for this because he certainly HAS to. The person who does draw the plans will give him the size. If he doesn't need an architect or engineer to draw plans for the permits and inspections, a beam this size should be spec'd by one for him. Where I';m from you don't need an architect or engineer to draw plans for the town. A homeowner can draw the plans, but they have to be approved by the town.

OP are you having plans drawn up and getting permits and inspections ?

Mr Chips 01-11-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 568012)
, no one wants to claim this responsibility when bubba goes out and orders said I beam, then their house falls in. At that poimt all parties become responsuble for bad information, and unsafe practices.

Engineering somethimg like tgis, is not something that some Joe on the Internet can answer.

That's my point. isn't that response, or none at all better than thread-crapping the guy? it just seems to be done way too often here. Personally I'd rather get no answer than " what size did the engineer who drew up the plans spec"

gregzoll 01-11-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips (Post 568018)
That's my point. isn't that response, or none at all better than thread-crapping the guy? it just seems to be done way too often here. Personally I'd rather get no answer than " what size did the engineer who drew up the plans spec"

Because if no answer is given, then you hear all over other sites that such and such site is hard to get answers from. Majority of these posts that I have seen in the past couple of weeks are drive by's and a lot them are posted the same way on various other sites on the Internet.

Mr Chips 01-11-2011 06:21 PM

that's fine, I'm not trying to pick a fight or derail a thread. All I'm saying is maybe we wouldn't have as many drive-bys if the answers were more on point. Simply saying " your question has too many variables to be answered here" is (IMO) a much more acceptable answer, but it sounds like I'm in the minority here, so I will leave it at that.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, good luck with your project.

Mr Chips 01-11-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carola (Post 568015)
I don't care what you say, no one here can answer what size beam this guy needs.

Sorry, I know I said i was resigning from this thread, but i just saw the above statement. For the record, I NEVER said that anyone here could answer this. The first responder ( I'm too tired to see who it was ) said something like " I can tell you the size, but that's only a small part of the overall project". I was criticising that response as it almost sounded like he (she) was saying "I know the answer, but won't tell you until you prove you've done your homework".

Ok, enough from me on this, my point has been made, the votes are all in, looks like i lost this one! thanks guys

Joe Carola 01-11-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips (Post 568055)
that's fine, I'm not trying to pick a fight or derail a thread. All I'm saying is maybe we wouldn't have as many drive-bys if the answers were more on point. Simply saying " your question has too many variables to be answered here" is (IMO) a much more acceptable answer, but it sounds like I'm in the minority here, so I will leave it at that.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, good luck with your project.

As I have said before, these people come here doing major projects on their homes with no intentions of have plans, permits and inspections. They ask the obvious questions that tell you this. When they are questioned they don't like it and don't come back because they are trying to do something illegal and dangerous.

Do you not care about people doing the right thing here by asking about drawings, permits and inspections? Or, all you care about is just answering questions and drawings, permits and inspections are not important for DIY'ers?

Would you ask how big a 26' beam should be on the internet and use someone's answers to let you know if you will do the job or not, or user that size as a reference? Can you answer these questions or will you avoid them like the people who avoid the plans, permit and inspection questions?

Jackofall1 01-11-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chips (Post 568058)
Sorry, I know I said i was resigning from this thread, but i just saw the above statement. For the record, I NEVER said that anyone here could answer this. The first responder ( I'm too tired to see who it was ) said something like " I can tell you the size, but that's only a small part of the overall project". I was criticising that response as it almost sounded like he (she) was saying "I know the answer, but won't tell you until you prove you've done your homework".

Ok, enough from me on this, my point has been made, the votes are all in, looks like i lost this one! thanks guys

I would answer the question as soon as mine are answered, in order calculate the beam size I would need to know the spacing, how many beams, just one on the outside wall with the inside wall sitting on an existing structure, or (2) center and outside, (3) inside, outside and center.

I trying to start a investigative conversation, I was and am more that willing to spend the hour or more to crunch some numbers in a spread sheet to given some estimates.

I was heading out in the snow storm to pick my wife up and was hoping on my return the answers would be there, instead you have mucked up the whole idea of why I was asking such questions.:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved