Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

24" x 24" Granite Tile

I'm wanting to replace my current kitchen countertops and was considering 24"x24" granite tiles. What is the absolute minimum gap I can use between the tiles? I'd like to get it as close as possible to looking like a granite slab.

ddean1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

24" x 24" Granite Tile

i would not take this as gospel but I was thinking of doing the same thing with 12"x12" tile and I'm pretty sure I read that the width of a dime is the min. I'll bet some one in the flooring forum could tell you.

hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

24" x 24" Granite Tile

Sell many a granite top and i can tell you joints are not nice! Even if you butt your tiles up with nothing but a bead of silicone it will be noticable. Silicone colours are limited so lets say you use a black/quartz tile you will have to use a black silicone which will stand out as there is no marble in colour like granite. Have that every 2ft and it'll stand out. Also im not sure the corners and edges of these tiles will stand up to many a pan drop. Granite tops are usually 25mm thick i should imagine these tiles are not.
Angry_D.I.Yer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #4

24" x 24" Granite Tile

& the grout will eventually become filthy so we don't want to eat at your house on the other hand, we made granite c-tops 40yrs ago from monumental grade mtl,,, imo, we see so many different granites now because of color, its ' IN ', & hot - not suitability or permanence,,, there are many pits/soft spots in today's mtls even at my house & the condo,,, to preserve marital harmony, i wisely kept my mouf shut when my bride, nagzilla, found her dream c-tops,,, you do the same

1 other point - if you're used to formica, etc, prepare to replace dishes, etc,,, granite's not forgiving - when i fumbled her a top from a ceramic canister set she's had 35yrs it took 3 days for her to speak to me again ( wish i'd dropped TWO ! )
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #5

24" x 24" Granite Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean1028 View Post
I'm wanting to replace my current kitchen countertops and was considering 24"x24" granite tiles. What is the absolute minimum gap I can use between the tiles? I'd like to get it as close as possible to looking like a granite slab.
Dean, you can use any grout line that you would like. Grout lines for tile are like texture for drywall - they hide imperfections in setting from tile to tile. The wider the grout line the "smoother" your install will look and feel. The narrower the grout line the more poorly set and unlevel tiles will stand out.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote