DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

24 inch to 16 inch Centers

10K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jproffer 
#1 ·
I'm about to frame a ceiling/attic floor inside a room with a catherdal ceiling which has 2x6 studs on 24 inch centers with a double plate which runs 9 feet up the wall parallel to the floor on which the joists will sit. I need to use 2x10 joists on 16 inch centers due to the length of the span.

If the spacings were the same, I would simply rest the joists on the plate next to the studs and nail the joist to both the stud and plate. But is there an accepted method for dealing with this difference in spacing from an attachment perspective?

I was thinking of toe-nailing the joists at the proper location along the plates and then using 2x10 blocking between the joists and the adjacent studs/joists.

Does this sound like the best way to do it AND will it meet code?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I think you're saying the joists are going to sit on a wall...yes? And this wall is framed on 24" centers?...and you need the ceiling (which will sit atop the wall) framed on 16" centers? The wall has a double top plate? If all this is so, then you should be OK. Just frame the ceiling on 16's and let the joists fall where they may. A double top plate will hold it. If it will make you feel better, plan it so every third joist sits directly over every other stud.

OH, as far as code you'll have to ask in your area (and I would too, but I think it would pass here)

#3 · (Edited)
Actually, the walls are framed in two parts; a 9-foot tall rectangular section with a top plate and a triangular section with a bottom plate and this triangular section sits atop the rectangular section to form the complete side wall of the catherdal ceiling.

My plan is to sit the joists atop the double plate formed by the top plate of the rectangular section and the bottom plate of the triangular section. This would allow the load of the new ceiling to be properly transferred down to the foundation below. The result of installing this ceiling will be a standard, rectangular room below and a sloping attic storage area above where the catherdal ceiling used to be.

Since the joists are effectively sticking out perpendicular to the wall, only 1 out of every 3 joists will fall adjacent to the existing wall studs of the tringular section but 2 out of every 3 joists will fall within the gaps between the studs. It's these joists which fall within the gaps which concern me since there is no vertical framing member to which it can be fastened. That's why I thought I could toe-nail the joists to the plates then use blocking between the studs and the joists to prevent movement and twisting of the joists which fall in the gaps.

#4 ·
OHHHHHHH...gotcha:eek: . yeah blocking between the triangular wall studs or a 2x6 or 2x8 nailed all the way across the back side of this wall (to save labor), then you can nail all of the joists to this back plate if you wish.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE......that was stupid....that's the end of the house...**smacking myself in the head**

Blocking nailed on the back side of the spaces so the joist will still sit ON the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.