Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

2009 IRC Bearing Requirements, Ribbon

Quote:
R502.6 Bearing. The ends of each joist, beam or girder shall have not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete except where supported on a 1-inch-by-4-inch (25.4 mm by 102 mm) ribbon strip and nailed to the adjacent stud or by the use of approved joist hangers.
How is the part about the ribbon strip generally interpreted? Must the ribbon be let in to the studs or can it also be faced nailed to the studs? I know a lot of the old timers would let in the ribbon, but I've photos of it done both ways.

How is "supported" generally interpreted? Does this mean that the joist must rest on top of the ribbon or can a hanger be installed on the face of the ribbon and the joist installed in the hanger? Again, I've seen photos of it done both ways. The part about "and nailed to the adjacent stud" suggests that the ribbon-with-hanger approach would not be code compliant.

powertoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Is this what they mean by supporting on the ribbon and face-nailed.
In theory, this would spread the shear load across more nails than just nailing the joist to the side of the stud.
Can't see how a hanger sufficient to support a floor joist could be fixed to a 1x4?
Attached Thumbnails
2009 IRC Bearing Requirements, Ribbon-mini-scan0003.jpg  

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

As per IRC, it requires "let-in";almost bottom of page, illustration; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Notice nail requirements for the ledger strip= #29, first table; 3/16d nails at each joist, check with local AHJ.

Gary
Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
journeyman carpenter

thats called balloon framing, its the old school method back when studs were continous from the mud sil up to the top plate that the rafters sit on

standard practice now is to sit the ribbon on top of the double top plate of be it the knee wall or first floor walls. the joists will also fully bear on the wall
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g
Can't see how a hanger sufficient to support a floor joist could be fixed to a 1x4?
I think the hanger provision is an alternative, not part of the ribbon option. I.e, either the joist bears on another member, or is held up by a hanger. The latter provision is used in flush beams and when doubling the rim joist in a 2x4 wall (to act as a header)
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
tony.g (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

with conventional lumber framing you must have a minimum of 1 1/2" bearing.. for engineered joists and trusses its a minimum of 1 3/4.

beams must bear a minimum 3 1/2"

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote