20 Yr Old PT Deck Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

20 yr old PT Deck help

18-20yr old 720sq foot Pressure treated deck w/pergola. The deck was not maintained at all ( splintered badly,checking,cups etc.)and I have been looking at all options to fix it up to get a few more years out of it- and not lay out that cash yet. I decided to pull all the nails ( fun fun : ) ,flip the boards, and screw back down with coated deck screws. On to my question, once I complete screwing down the boards what should my next steps be to completion? Originally, I was going to sand the whole deck to try and remove the joist striping, pt stamping etc. then wash/brightener to open up the wood for staining again... but after speaking with the different folks in the stain business some have said "do not sand" (because u will get uneven stain results) just use bleach,water (25/75 bleach to water) and dawn on first and try to get boards ready for staining ..some others say just sand and use a brightener or a light pressure wash only....let dry for a few days and stain. So I'm confused now on the best route is. Also, I plan on using Armstrong Clark or Readyseal to finish the job - 8-10 gallons..... 1. Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Gary

Advertisement

garyh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

20 yr old PT Deck help

Sounds like my deck but mine is 5 years older. I too thought about sanding, flipping, etc. to try to get more life out of the decking. But I had a few planks that needed to be replaced. Once I did that, the rest looked so bad I decided to re-deck the whole thing. It will also give me the chance to level everything up again.

As to what you are trying to do... I talked to a local paint guy who knows deck finishes very well. When I was thinking about keeping the old planking, he said to power wash the deck and follow it up with a light sanding. Then to use a brightener and let it dry completely before finishing it.

Stay away from cheap finishes. Most home centers only carry the cheap stuff and after all that work it took to prep the deck, don't skimp on this step. I bought the best stuff HD sold and it was junk. After the new planking is done (and I've waited at least six months) I'll spend the few extra dollars and buy from the local paint store.

Here's some good videos on how to prepare and stain your deck:
http://www.saversystems.com/videos/deck-stain-videos

Advertisement

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

20 yr old PT Deck help

I'm in the process of re-finishing a ~20 year old pergola. Sounds like it looked the same as your deck, badly weathered, half was painted, half was not, etc...

I sanded down the painted areas to remove the paint and then did just a light sanding on the weathered areas that were not painted. I figured this would be good to remove some of the soft weathered spots on the wood to hold the stain better. (not a professional opinion though)

In the process of staining right now and I'm using a Cabot solid stain.

http://cabotstain.com/colors-and-fin...ds-Colors.html

I'm liking the results so far.
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

20 yr old PT Deck help

Thanks for the responses, yes. As far as stains go, I've read alot of good things about Armstrong Clark, ReadySeal,TWP, and Cabot too. So I'm looking at those. I agree on your approaches to this and your efforts. Thanks for advice from the paint guy. Im going to start to screw down the boards this weekend, then see where Im at for washing/sanding etc. All opinions are welcome on this especially for those that have done similar work and it definitely helps reassure that I'm going about this the right way.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

20 yr old PT Deck help

I learned a lot from this site: http://www.deckstainhelp.com/ TWP and Defy get the best reviews. Stay away from Behr. I learned the hard way.

I've been using Defy on the old wood. So far, so good. And I like the tone. It makes green lumber look like cedar, unlike that other junk.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

20 yr old PT Deck help

Thanks Julie! Yes, Ive been in discussion with the Armstrong, Readyseal and TWP folks all seem to have good reviews on the various wood restoring websites including the deck stains review - i'll take a look at Defy too, but since my deck hasnt been stained in many years I though oil stain would be the way to go - I'll look at that one closer.. I'm receiving samples of the stains this week then making the decision. First I need to get my deck back in shape : ) . I appreciate the links to prep... Right now -I think Im going to go in this order
1. Screw down flipped boards
2. Clean deck with Sodium Percarb
3. Use brightener to neutralize
4. Sand horizontal boards w 60 grit or lower
5. very light pressure wash ( maybe brightener again) to open wood up again
6. Stain

This is my current procedure until someone redirects me : ) and I change my mind. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

20 yr old PT Deck help

Wondering if you stuck to your listed order and how it turned out? I have a deck I've just stripped and now I'm wondering if I should brighten then sand? or sand then brighten?
irishhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

20 yr old PT Deck help

When sanding a PT deck, especially an older PT deck, be sure to wear a NIOSH approved mask. Older PT decks were typically treated with CCA, which stands for copper chromium arsenite. So older PT lumber typically has high concentrations of chromium (toxic) and arsenic (quite toxic), which will easily go airborne when you sand. If you wear a mask, you will be protected, but of course your neighbors will not be protected from your toxic dust, so you may want to sand on a calm day, or use a sander with a good bagger to capture dust.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

20 yr old PT Deck help

I havent gotten to sanding or cleaning yet for that matter. I replaced my rails and had other minor repairs and screwing the boards back down took longer than I thought : I With that said I have talked to folks in the industry and consensus was that you should brighten then sand so you dont sand any dirt, rust etc back into the wood. After sanding, then light powerwash or even brighten again to open up wood for accepting stain.

I replaced 5 boards with new PT boards, so matching stain on those should be fun... Thanks on the sanding info Daniel>> calm day, using mask etc- I def plan on using the advice. Next - I 'll be cleaning deck next week ( week of July 29th), and sanding, staining week after that or when dry. I'll post some pics at some point, Ive taken some before/after shots already.

Thanks all

Advertisement