Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
pwa

Rewards Points: 75

20 minute fire door?

Hi to all, a contractor installed a door leading from my house to my garage and told me it is a 20 minute fire door.I have my doubts, there are no stickers or identification anywhere on the door.Aside from the fact that this door is solid and the other 2 he installed in the garage are 1/2 glass they appear to be the same.I am thinking about pulling the hinge pin and comparing the wieght unless theres an easier way? Thanks in advance

pwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,066

20 minute fire door?

is it a exterior door with a frame that has a sil, door sweep and weather stripping, if so this door is fine. if its just a interior prehung thats solid its no good

codes specifically require a exterior grade door with weatherstripping so to prevent toxic fumes from entering the living space

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

20 minute fire door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooworkbykirk
is it a exterior door with a frame that has a sil, door sweep and weather stripping, if so this door is fine. if its just a interior prehung thats solid its no good

codes specifically require a exterior grade door with weatherstripping so to prevent toxic fumes from entering the living space
Yuuup +1.

Most exterior steel doors qualify.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

20 minute fire door?

You should have a metal plate on the hinge side of the door stating the door rating

http://www.lovettc.com/FireRatedDoors.pdf

If the plate was removed, too bad I learned years ago, never let the painter remove a plate. You will only have a fire rated door if the plate is still attached. Any fire rated door will have a plate see page 3 on the above link.

Last edited by havalife; 10-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
pwa

20 minute fire door?

Thanks Guys, all 3 of the doors have a plate on the bottom(sil ?) and a door seal that looks like a hollow tube. All appear to be wood with metal on both sides. The garage-house door doesnt look like anything special or diffrent than the exterior doors on the garage.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

20 minute fire door?

A solid core flush wooden door without glazing is usually accepted as a 20 minute door even if it does not have a tag from a testing agency. It needs to be cased on both sides. It would need a latch bolt with a 1/2 inch minimum throw and may require a thicker stopping. Clearance from the bottom of the door to the floor or threshold would need to be less than 3/4 inch. Much depends on what your local "authority having jurisdiction" will accept. In any case, the rating requirement of the door is driven by the rating of the wall assembly it is installed in. I've not heard of a weatherstrip requirement even on 2 or 3 hour doors.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

20 minute fire door?

2003 International Residential Code:

R309.1 Opening Protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8 inches (35mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inches (35mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

20 minute fire door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldTaylor View Post
It means what it says, NO GAPS, but there is are foams/caulks used for firewalls that may quality. Check lumberyards, and check local code for approval.
Huh? Is this in the right post?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 252

20 minute fire door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
A solid core flush wooden door without glazing is usually accepted as a 20 minute door even if it does not have a tag from a testing agency. It needs to be cased on both sides. It would need a latch bolt with a 1/2 inch minimum throw and may require a thicker stopping. Clearance from the bottom of the door to the floor or threshold would need to be less than 3/4 inch. Much depends on what your local "authority having jurisdiction" will accept. In any case, the rating requirement of the door is driven by the rating of the wall assembly it is installed in. I've not heard of a weatherstrip requirement even on 2 or 3 hour doors.
I know nothing about residential doors, but commercial 2 or 3 hour doors do have a weatherstrip. The weatherstrip is part of the fire rating.

No decal, no rating and the door needs to be replaced.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

20 minute fire door?

I've worked with plenty of fire doors of all ratings and have never seen a common hinged fire door with "rated" weatherstrip. Plenty of restrictions on clearances: door to frame, door to floor, door to stop. Restrictions on glazing sizes and types, but no weatherstrip. Rated astragals can be installed on pairs of fire doors if the gap between them exceeds 1/8" measured on the outward side of the slab. People may call that a weatherstrip. In fact, adding weatherstrip to a rated door/jamb assembly without the express permission of the manufacturer would void the rating. I'm looking at the 2010 edition of NFPA 80 and find no mention of weatherstrip. Can you cite the section number where it may be?

Agreed, the rating tag must be in place and legible to satisfy the AHJ.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 252

20 minute fire door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I'm looking at the 2010 edition of NFPA 80 and find no mention of weatherstrip. Can you cite the section number where it may be?

Agreed, the rating tag must be in place and legible to satisfy the AHJ.
the first step is to determine the referenced code in your jurisdiction. The previous poster referenced NFPA 80, 2010. That edition may or may not be accepted in your jurisdiction, or the an ICC code may be used. I am in buck camp, and do not have the information on my laptop. Contact the local building official.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
pwa

20 minute fire door?

wow!!! I cant believe how damn complicated everything is, Thanks for all the input