Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2-sided bath surround?

I need to replace the surround on my bathtub. Problem is it only has two sides. Can't find a two sided bathtub surround anywhere, they are all 3-sided. Don't want to wall in third side of bathtub. Bathroom already very small. Bathroom is on second story. Will have to replace some of the drywall around tub because of water damage. Any suggestions on what to use for a surround?

Doylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

2-sided bath surround?

Ayuh,.... Cement board, 'n Tile....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #3

2-sided bath surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Cement board, 'n Tile....
Hummmm.... I suggested tile to my husband and he said that it would be too heavy for the second floor bathroom. Is that a possiblity or do you think he's just trying to get out of the job?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

2-sided bath surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylane View Post
Hummmm.... I suggested tile to my husband and he said that it would be too heavy for the second floor bathroom. Is that a possiblity or do you think he's just trying to get out of the job?
Well being a guy I never tried that tactic before. IF your hubby was my friend I would have to back him up but he aint so. Tile would actually be the way to go.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warnerww For This Useful Post:
Doylane (01-05-2011), operagost (01-06-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

2-sided bath surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylane View Post
You're kidding, right? I'm going out on a limb here and say most bathrooms on the second floor in this country have tile. I'm sure you've been in a few of them yourself.
As for the surround. Buy a 3 sided one and don't use the third piece.
Better yet, tile the tub area. Plastic surrounds remind me of motels.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

2-sided bath surround?

Tile---Definitely-----That's one excuse I've never heard--

You house is old--this is the time to insulate and upgrade the plumbing to the tub---Mike---

Pictures of your fine old house would be nice----Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Doylane (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

2-sided bath surround?

WOW... All of these violations of the MAN CODE!!!! Lets see if we can try to save this guy from the Beating his wife is going to deliver!!! Concrete board is heavy so maybe he is just being overly cautious because he does not want his loving wife to fall through the floor. Not buying it??? maybe he meant carrying it up to the second floor would be to heavy... still not working...

I would do the tile for a couple of reasons...
1- only having 2 walls- Buying a surround would be difficult
2- Small bathroom- By using tiles you can probably use a scheme that will make it seem larger.

If he does not want to carry concrete board or cut it... I would suggest Ditra... Maybe a Tile guy can give suggestions on easy designs
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Docwhitley For This Useful Post:
Doylane (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

2-sided bath surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwhitley View Post
WOW... All of these violations of the MAN CODE!!!! Lets see if we can try to save this guy from the Beating his wife is going to deliver!!! Concrete board is heavy so maybe he is just being overly cautious because he does not want his loving wife to fall through the floor. Not buying it??? maybe he meant carrying it up to the second floor would be to heavy... still not working...

I would do the tile for a couple of reasons...
1- only having 2 walls- Buying a surround would be difficult
2- Small bathroom- By using tiles you can probably use a scheme that will make it seem larger.

If he does not want to carry concrete board or cut it... I would suggest Ditra... Maybe a Tile guy can give suggestions on easy designs
Thank you for the insite. After talking to my husband he now says that it wasn't because of the weight of the tile but because we live so close to the railroad track and when the trains go by it shakes the house. We have old plaster walls in most rooms and have cracks in a few of the walls that seem to be getting longer. The few walls we have replaced with drywall don't have any cracks. ANYWAY.. He was afraid that the cememt board would start to crack and would inturn make the tile crack or fall off. After telling him about the advise I received on DIY he seems to think it might work. I will inquire about the Ditra (board?) and see what the tile person recommends. I'm going shopping for tile next weekend. Thanks guys!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Doylane For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

2-sided bath surround?

Tile or swanstone. Even if you did as Ron said and used 2 pcs of a 3pce surround, the pieces are curved in the corners and it would look odd and cause problems.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

2-sided bath surround?

The problem with the plaster near a rail road is that the Plaster relies on the "finger" (plaster squeezed between the wood) to hold it to the wood... When they break ... you get cracks. So as your house vibrates... they break... you get cracks.

I hope one of the tile guys can recommend what to use... GOOD LUCK!

Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote