Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

2 questions regarding weepscreed/stucco netting

House was built in 1965 in southern Calif. Stucco mixture was put on house clear down below sillplate covering concrete raised foundation. Over the years moisture creeping up through stucco into rim joist/sill plated rotted the wood.I have replaced bad wood. I have taken off crumbling stucco and rusty stucco netting/black paper. I added weepscreed but just below weepscreed is original stucco that goes down to bottom of raised foundation. Cosmetically it looks better than the exposed concrete foundation. I dont think the stucco can hurt anything anymore with weepscreed installed.
1.) Do I absolutely take off old stucco? None of the existing stucco on original concrete is loose or crumbly. It has a better finished look to it.

2.) How far up the wall do I take old stucco off? I have found rusty stucco wire upwards of 4' in the wall. And then I start to seen clean wire. Check out photos. One photo is an open vent and if you look close you can see existing stucco on the concrete foundation. I started taking that stucco off but the exposed concrete foundation just doesnt look that nice. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
2 questions regarding weepscreed/stucco netting-house-floor-plans-185.jpg   2 questions regarding weepscreed/stucco netting-house-floor-plans-184.jpg  

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

2 questions regarding weepscreed/stucco netting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
House was built in 1965 in southern Calif. Stucco mixture was put on house clear down below sillplate covering concrete raised foundation. Over the years moisture creeping up through stucco into rim joist/sill plated rotted the wood.I have replaced bad wood. I have taken off crumbling stucco and rusty stucco netting/black paper. I added weepscreed but just below weepscreed is original stucco that goes down to bottom of raised foundation. Cosmetically it looks better than the exposed concrete foundation. I dont think the stucco can hurt anything anymore with weepscreed installed.
1.) Do I absolutely take off old stucco? None of the existing stucco on original concrete is loose or crumbly. It has a better finished look to it.

2.) How far up the wall do I take old stucco off? I have found rusty stucco wire upwards of 4' in the wall. And then I start to seen clean wire. Check out photos. One photo is an open vent and if you look close you can see existing stucco on the concrete foundation. I started taking that stucco off but the exposed concrete foundation just doesnt look that nice. Any thoughts?
I would not completely remove the remainder of the stucco, so long as the stucco particles are not loose and at risk of disintegration. How is the slope in that area? Is water likely to accumulate and cause the stucco to further disintegrate?

I inspected a residential property that had a similar situation.... My recommendation was to remove only the loose/exposed particles.

Jack Haddad
Www.superhomeinspections.net
Www.superiorhomesolutions.net

jackmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote