2 Broken Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2 broken joist

We are about to buy this house "as is" super cheap. After a crawl around the crawl space, I discovered why the floor is sagging. Two joist about 5 inches apart from one another are broken. It is too close to the hanger to sister it. Any other ideas?

Built in 1969, this is a single story cheapie ranch. I believe the wall between the kitchen and bath is above these joists.

Water seems to be coming in the south and east walls (south wall is pictured) above the foundation. Is there a common reason for this? What should I look for when disassembling the siding/wall?

Second photo is looking up at the broken joists.
Larger photos:
http://dvkmoto.com/newhouse/sjoist1.jpg
http://dvkmoto.com/newhouse/sjoist2.jpg
http://dvkmoto.com/newhouse/sjoist3.jpg

Any advice (about construction ) would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

dvkmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

2 broken joist

I see a few more issues, that outer beam that was used as a rim joist is rotted out from water damage. Is that side behind a pored stoop, porch or deck?
The siding should come off and that whole section of beam replaced with several layers of 2 X pressure treated wood or a 4 X 6 pressure treated.
This is one of those rare cases where I'd suggest removing the old floor joist completly and replacing with an LVL cut to fit on the ends. I then would attach 3/4 plywood over all the other ones with constrution adhesive and 3" ceramic coated screws.
Houses built like that had to long a span with joist not wide enough and with that cut out so it would sit on the foundation it created a weak spot where it's going to crack.
Did you get a home inspection before making an offer on this?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

2 broken joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I then would attach 3/4 plywood over all the other ones with constrution adhesive and 3" ceramic coated screws.
Did you get a home inspection before making an offer on this?
Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "3/4 plywood over all the other ones"

The house would be essentially free, the price is the going rate for the land. I am not sure if we would meet the bank inspection though.

Orange is about where the joist are. When I went to double check, I noticed one joist was a double

dvkmoto is offline   Reply With Quote