1x6 16' T&G Ceiling (Hang And Stain) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

1x6 16' T&G Ceiling (Hang and Stain)

I am getting ready to do a 15x14 outdoor patio and need some help. I have read many threads on hanging 1x6 pine T&G. Yes you can use a single nail in the boards through the T and some saying you have to use multiple nails. I was originally under the impression i would be just fine with the single... Yes or no?

Second part:
Stain
Im going to stain each board before I hang. Yes or no? I want to say yes since it will allow me to get the stain into the T&G sides easier and when the boards expand and contract they will not show the lighter pine. Is that correct or should i hang and stain?

Advertisement

themayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

i'd use multiple nails and certainly stain before.

DM

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3

Does everyone else agree that i need to use multiple nails or will i be good with just a direct through the T. I was going to use wood glue on the beams so i would not have to use face nails. i was trying to hide as much as i could.

Also... How far should my cans hang for Recesesed lights and the ceilnig fan down from the boards? 3/8s of an inch??
Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

You will do fine shooting a nail through the tongue on every rafter. If you are staining a dark color do it before you put it up because you will see the unstained wood. Butt the boards tight. You will only have to facenail on the starter and the edges...these will get covered by trim. Wood glue is unnecessary because the nails will do fine. I use 2 1/2 finish nails. Make sure you angle it properly so that it doesn't bust out the back of the tongue. A wood chisel or small pry bar works great for wrenching the boards tightly together. Drive it into the rafters to establish a point to lever from.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Well I have already stained the 16's T&G boards. I guess i'll just have to be much more careful when driving the nail. I have a Straight Nailer now should i go get an angled nailer? I wanted too, but didnt want to have to buy a gun just for this small project.

For the recessed stuff. I have 4 cans and one ceiling fan. How far do i have to set the boxes on the T&G? I have read a few different things...

Does the Ceiling Fan box need to be flush with the T&G face or does it need to be drawn in a little also from the T&G?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

You need to angle the nails back by tilting your finish nailer. It will take a little practice before you get really good at it. The boxes should be flush with the finished surface.

Advertisement