Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

1st floor walls in a split house

I need help on what to do with the basement/first floor in my split house.
the previous owner put wooded playwood is very rough surface on the walls.I can see the screws and do think it will to crazy to remove so much panelling ? .

Is their some thing i can use on top of this to cover and paint .Its studded wants with 16 inch from center to center .R19 insulation in the walls covered by this 5/8 rough wooded sheets.

I need ideas.

satz

satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

prime the wood. Use a skim coat of drywall compound to cover the entire wall. Mix with water to make a soupy mix and roll it on the wall. Have someone help and smooth out the solution with a 12" drywall knife. Let dry, prime and paint. Or use a product like nu-wall which will last longer and be easier to apply. Or cover with 1/4" drywall and finish as any new wall. Others will have even more ideas.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

I have never done drywall and also its a basement and i wonder how well the wall will dry when its below freezing .Also i am told its a pain to get it smooth and tape.

I do not want to unscrew all this panelling and do nothing with it. Is thier
like a wall/panel i can install on top and call it a day?.

satz
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Satz,

What Bob proposed makes a decent looking wall that can approximate the appearance of the rest of the walls in your house. And doing the D/W knife work as he outlined is NOT like trying to smoothly ice a cake. It really is much easier. And if you are like many of us, you may honestly get into the pure artistic fun of it before a third of the wall is done.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Cannot do the texturing or drywall in freezing conditions. But you cannot glue anything either. Which ever way you try to do it you need to provide heat and ventilation or what until the weather permits the work to be done at 70 degree temps. Only think you can apply over it as is in these conditions is paneling. Yech! Read the Nu-wall directions... it is the easiest one.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

What i meant is it is unheated but the furnance is in the room and with the r19 insulation most of the heat stays in the floor. this room has sliders to the patio and 3 big windows.

right now it is 36 outside and must be atleast 60 + in here and i am online with my 1 1/2 yr running around.