Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #1

Share |

1st floor(basement) joist replacement

I recently purchased an old home built ~ 1900. It needs a lot of work but the first thing I would like to do is replace some floor joists in the baement that support the first floor. There was what appears to have been an electrical or wood stove fire that burnt away about half of the 10" joists. These boards look structurally capable at the moment but obviously i am replacing them first. So i have a few questions in regards to this job...

1. There are a bunch of appliances above one section that needs replacement. Should these be moved before jacking up the floor?

2. How much will it cost approx to repair/replace these joists, by contractor. They span the house ~25-30 feet. there is a main beam either 4x4 or 6x6 that intersects the joists perpendicularly in the middle of their span. let me know if you need more information I figure rather than run board the entire distance we could just run them to the main beam.

3. Would it be possible to just "sister" joists next to these half burnt joists? or do they need to be removed? I also noticed moisture in the basement. I plan on working on this but at a later time. Wil it pose a rot problem at all for the boards??

Thanks for any help I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as we plan to do most of the renovations ourselves....

P.S. any contractors in NW PA?? Venango county

JahDoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahDoos View Post
I recently purchased an old home built ~ 1900. It needs a lot of work but the first thing I would like to do is replace some floor joists in the baement that support the first floor. There was what appears to have been an electrical or wood stove fire that burnt away about half of the 10" joists. These boards look structurally capable at the moment but obviously i am replacing them first. So i have a few questions in regards to this job...

1. There are a bunch of appliances above one section that needs replacement. Should these be moved before jacking up the floor?

2. How much will it cost approx to repair/replace these joists, by contractor. They span the house ~25-30 feet. there is a main beam either 4x4 or 6x6 that intersects the joists perpendicularly in the middle of their span. let me know if you need more information I figure rather than run board the entire distance we could just run them to the main beam.

3. Would it be possible to just "sister" joists next to these half burnt joists? or do they need to be removed? I also noticed moisture in the basement. I plan on working on this but at a later time. Wil it pose a rot problem at all for the boards??

Thanks for any help I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as we plan to do most of the renovations ourselves....

P.S. any contractors in NW PA?? Venango county

Answer:

Cost from a GC - Several thousand dollars or more. Cost if you do it yourself: several hundred dollars.
Defintitely sounds like you could do it yourself, just continue to do your research about how to.

You do not have to raise the floor in order to replace joists. Dependant on how many have to be replaced, you may want to build a temporary support wall while doing a section. Just remove & replace one at a time, rather than taking a whole section out at once.

If a joist is partially damaged, but still structurally sound, but still usable, yes, you can also sister it...

Also: You could remove any heavy objects/appliances prior to repair in that area. Yes, you can run that joist to the main beam. Overlap it by several feet so that it's tail end will be over the joist on the other side of the basement. You can then also attach it into the other side (sistering the tail end)....
Hope this helps -

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-17-2007 at 08:18 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #3

Yes, I had wanted to do it myself originally, but don't have house jack so if there is a way to do the replacement without one thats the route i will probably take.

I want to rent half the house out, and want to know if the partially damaged joists would violate code at all??

I don't understand the process for removing and replacing joists without jacking the floor up. I have looked through many pages of posts and could not find anything that seems to address replacing more than one joist. Could you elaborate?
JahDoos is offline   Reply With Quote