Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

1986 house sagging floor

Looking for a house in the country Found one which was build in 1986 and has hardwood floors on the second floor that were installed in 2005. The problem it that the second floor seens to be sloped towards the middle line that goes along the hallway. Gaps in this "newly" installed hardwood at several places as wide as 1/3 inch (7mm) between planks.
I don't know if the floor will continue to move and what was the reason for this movement. How much will it cost to fix it??? The house is nice but has old sepric tank, purification field, water from a well, old oil firnace, high ground water table, etc...
Should I worry about that floor or it is easily fixed???
(it does not seem to affect the first floor (no cracks there))

michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

1986 house sagging floor

No here can tell you how much it will cost to fix. Hire a local contractor or structural engineer to inspect it and give you a report.

gregzoll (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
registered

1986 house sagging floor

No its not an easy fix. Its a bust out another thou fix. You could be opening up Pandora's box.

Last edited by 747; 08-12-2013 at 12:24 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

1986 house sagging floor

If your second floor is sloped but not the first floor, I would look for a load bearing wall that was removed from the first floor. As joed said, hire a contractor or engineer to confirm. As 747 said it's not likely to be a quick or cheap fix.
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

1986 house sagging floor

The first floor seems fine except for spongy floors in the kitchen area. The previous owner put ceramic tiles at the entrance and hardwood floors in a couple of first floor rooms but left the left side of the first floor covered in stick-on vinyl tiles.
It seems like the left side of the building has floor joists that span for 13.5 feet and I suspect that this is the problem there.

Do you think I might be looking at a broken floor joist on the second floor?

The basement looks fine with no cracks and two metal beams hold the first floor.
If the beams on the second floor go the same direction as on the first floor then the line along which everything is sagging is between the beams (perpendicular to them).

I think that the owner is trying to sell the house until it turns into a money pit. Right now the septic tank and septic field are 30 years old (past their life expectancy). The house is also dealing with a high underground water table (old sump pump). New furnace, appliances and AC are required. Kitchen has to be replaced since it is in very bad shape and can not be fixed, so, this is BAD. But location is great for me…

I want to buy it but I am just trying to understand if these badly constructed houses can be fixed or they not worth investing efforts and money.
What happens to these houses???
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
DIY staff

1986 house sagging floor

When a house has serious structural issues, they often sell for the value of the lot---they are junk.

If you can salvage the place for less than a comperable home in good shape would cost---much less---then they might be a good purchace.

However, until the problem is properly diagnosed and a solution is found---the place should be looked at as a tear down----

Sagging floors---termites---missing supports---wrong floor joists---who knows? Sounds like a lot of risk--and time---and money.
gregzoll (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

1986 house sagging floor

"What happens to these houses?"

Well... HOPEFULLY the person who buys it thinks its worth both its cost and the cost of ALLLLLL the repairs that need to be done (note :that's you.) If you're buying this house for 200k (totally made up number for illustration), and you think it's WORTH 200k.... well, you'd be foolish to buy it knwoing you have at least 15k to put into it.

If you buy it for 200k and think it's worth 230k to you in the end... then maybe it is worth it. Or maybe you should just let it be someone else's problem and find something that isn't falling apart.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-13-2013), oh'mike (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

1986 house sagging floor

The problem is that the current owner has to understand what he will get for the house is not what he wants to get. But to start the negotiations I will have to bring in a very good inspector if not structural engineer and this costs at least $500.
Do I understand correctly that houses like that are sitting on the market for a long time since they are "lemons"?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #9

1986 house sagging floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan View Post
The problem is that the current owner has to understand what he will get for the house is not what he wants to get. But to start the negotiations I will have to bring in a very good inspector if not structural engineer and this costs at least $500.
Do I understand correctly that houses like that are sitting on the market for a long time since they are "lemons"?
In a perfect world, sure, the house would sit there until the owner lowered the price to where it made sense for someone to buy it.

But.... based on posts here and stories you hear EVERY DAY, people make dumb decisions, and buy houses that are falling apart, either because they "fell in love with them" or it was the perfect location or whatever.

What is it about this particular house, with all its problems, that is so drawing you in? I understand the location is great for you, but if your area is anything like mine, there are houses for sale EVERYWHERE. Based on your description I can't imagine why I'd ever want to get into a headache like that, even if they dropped the price SIGNIFICANTLY.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
DIY staff

1986 house sagging floor

I am getting ready to send the final bill to a customer that thought the cost of an inspector was a waste of money when they bid on a junk house.

After all---the house was 'as is' ---

When I was called in they owned this wreck---and had spent $10,000 with a hack trying to fix it.

My solution was to call in a demolition company and knock down half of the house----and then rebuild what was left----

They do seem pleased with the house now----but the experience was not a good one for them----
GBrackins (08-13-2013), gregzoll (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

1986 house sagging floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I am getting ready to send the final bill to a customer that thought the cost of an inspector was a waste of money when they bid on a junk house.

After all---the house was 'as is' ---

When I was called in they owned this wreck---and had spent $10,000 with a hack trying to fix it.

My solution was to call in a demolition company and knock down half of the house----and then rebuild what was left----

They do seem pleased with the house now----but the experience was not a good one for them----
the way I look at it education costs time and money, one can either learn from reading or the school of hard knocks.

your client took the hard road, hopefully visitors to our forum will learn by reading posts such as this before heading off on the wrong path .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-13-2013)