Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
jut

Share |

1920's House Foundation Parging/Skim coat

Hi guys,

I've done some research and looked at previous threads but had a few lingering questions on a project. We own a 1920 bungalow style home in Portland, OR. It has a full basement with clay block foundation walls (similar to the ones in the picture).

I'm not worried about sealing the foundation completely- no real water issues in the basement. However, what I would like to do is to coat the portion of the foundation that you see from the outside (about 2 feet worth before the siding starts). I've looked into parging it, but then noticed a lot of people warning about using portland cement/lime on ceratin foundation materials. So, my question is what type of parging mixture is safe/good to use on our clay block foundation? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Talk to someone who has worked on historical structures in your area. You may have to contact the local historical society to find some names, but those parties would be able to help you with what you are wanting to do.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

The negative issues with using a Portland based plaster comes from it's attempted use as a "waterproofer" on the interior. It's relatively safe to use on the exterior, as it will help repel water in the first place, and the water vapor will still be allowed to dry to the interior..........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
jut

Thanks for the input guys. I kind of thought it might be okay just to do the exterior side, especially with it only being two feet or so showing. I won't be attempting to waterproof the interior side.
jut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

how about a fiberglass re-enforced concrete like sure wall? I've used it on older homes' foundations and piers to sturdy them up and help against aged and failing mortar.
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote