DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

16x16 deck in front of basement window

18K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  psilva8 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice and guidance with my next project. We want to build a 16x16 deck on the back of our house. The deck will be built on deck blocks and the understanding that I may need to adjust some of the legs year over year. I am in Ontario and although the ground under our patio is solid, I know it could move over the seasons.

I do however, plan to attach the deck to the house via ledger board just to make sure it does not move when using/walking around on it.

The problem is to the left of the patio door is a basement window at the same height that the ledger board would be. Can I run the ledger on either side of the window with a small bumpout to go around the window. This means the deck would "float" around the window as opposed to being attached to the wall there.

The window is just for the furnace room so not concerned about losing the light. There are no bedrooms in the basement and another window in the rec room area.

Here are some photos of the proposed area. The deck will not cover the other basement window.

ALSO: Im in Ontario, when can I build the deck (no permit required as <24" above grade)? Will I be ok building in April?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sure I'll get some feed back but, I would never build that deck that way.
Make it a free standing deck instead of attaching it to the house. DO not use deck blocks. Build it on Sonotubes filled with concrete set below the frost level, or have the post just set in concrete in a hole below frost level.

That way there's 0 chance of water leaks behind the siding, the deck will never need to be lifted to correct sags.

Every year we get calls from people with rotted sheathing, mud sills, rim joist, all from leaking ledgers.

Use 6 X 6's instead of 4 X 4's for the post, reason being they can be cut into so the rim joist have a full bearing surface and 2, though bolts can be used instead of one.

#3 ·
Joe,

Since the deck is under 24" from grade, I was told I didn't need a permit from the city. However, does this change if I am digging 4'? As the development is from the late 80s, I am concerned of ALOT of underground lines/wire/pipes/etc.

#4 ·
As long as your lower then 24" from top of deck to grade it should be fine.
The 24" has nothing to do with how deep the post are.
Anytime your digging you should call MIss Utilitys or what ever it's called in your area so they can come out and mark the lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.