Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #1

Share |

10x14 or so shed?

We currently have a 9.5x10 shed made of very thin sheet metal. It's too small, leaking, doors don't work, etc. Was hoping to get a new shed this Spring.

What are some options to consider. I would think about building it myself. The only thing to consider there is that I generally do not have help ever, so anything must be doable by 1 man. I am always happy to get creative and or buy tools that make a 2 man job a 1 man job

Man's steel has nice big ugly steel 10x15 for $2k delivered and installed.

Home Depot and the like has "pretty" sheds for 3k.
Again installed and delivered.

I doubt the Man's would fly with my wife. The Home Depot ones are "cute" but pricey.

Is it time to think about DIY??!

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Crabby Bastard

10x14 or so shed?

don't know where you live, but i'd bet you anything you could call around and find stick built sheds as nice or better that the ones at HD for about $1000 less, installed and delivered. For $3k you could probably get a really nice one custom built by a contractor, especially with things so slow all over right now

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

10x14 or so shed?

I'm not sure that a contractor's price is going to be less than what Home Depot and other shed companies are charging.

The reason being, that those posted $3K (+/-) sheds are usually made up of pre-built segments and panels. They are brought to the sight and assembled like an erector set. Sometimes the siding is already installed, sometimes it is not (vinyl). There are certain things that are added after the shell is built (like the roof), but they have about 4 to 6 guys that blow them up (like ants) in several hours, then they run off to do the next scheduled shed somewhere else. They have a system, and that's all they do...

Bulk Material Purchase + Pre-Built at a Shop/Yard + Experienced Quick Assembly = Lower Prices.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-01-2008 at 09:56 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #4

10x14 or so shed?

There is a place based out of NJ (where I am) that I'll check out also.

http://www.americanshed.com/shedshomesteader.htm

Same idea, just not purchasing from Home Depot. They are the factory themselves.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #5

10x14 or so shed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
There is a place based out of NJ (where I am) that I'll check out also.

http://www.americanshed.com/shedshomesteader.htm

Same idea, just not purchasing from Home Depot. They are the factory themselves.
That's the way to go. Often, HD, Costco, & others, are just the "middle-man" for the same company's products.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Jack of Some Trades

10x14 or so shed?

if you have the basic skills, do it yourself. Even if you pay a neighborhood teen $20 an hour for an extra set of hands, you could build a pretty sweet shed and have cash left to put new toys in it with a $3,000 budget

keep in mind that if you buy or build, you will most likely need a permit. call your town or county. nothing worse than them finding out after it's done or delivered and telling you it's 6 inches too close to your property line and needs to be moved
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #7

10x14 or so shed?

The other fact is whether a Home Owner has the time to put into such a project.
An experienced contractor could do it in a weekend with a helper.

An inexperienced DIYer could do it in about 4 times that, plus having to pay a helper for all that time, standing around wainting for the "boss" to figure out things....etc, etc....List of materials, picking them up, going out for more materials, miss cuts, rain, running out of beer/trip to the packy for more beer....6 months later: Done...with the floor!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Jack of Some Trades

10x14 or so shed?

that's exactly how an inexperienced DIY'er becomes experienced! This is a project that can be done in a couple weekends by anyone with a modest skill set and a desire to learn from his mistakes. If they are reading these posts, I gotta believe they want to learn. You can read all the web pages in the world, but until you put hammer to nail you'll never advance beyond someone who can answer construction trivia.

the nice thing about doing a shed yourself, is it incorporates a lot of skills that can be used on your house, without actually practicing on your house. If you put shingles on incorrectly because your a first timer, wouldn't you rather learn that lesson on a shed than on the most expensive thing you ever bought in your life?

Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote