10-foot High Deck - Estimating Safety - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By joecaption

Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

10-foot high deck - estimating safety

Hey all - I have a roughly 12x12 foot square deck that's up about 10 feet on the back of my house (built 1998 in Atlanta). One side is attached to my house. Then it is supported by 6x6 legs on the outer side. I did some shoring up and have very high confidence that (almost) all of it is rock solid.

Before my basement was finished, I did note that a header board on the outside wall is bolted through to the basement. I can't say what size bolts, but I recall larger washers. There is a 2x2 attached to the bottom of that outside header, and the joists have 2x2 notches. Then the joists were toe-nailed in. I didn't like this, so I installed L-brackets on each joist with lag bolt screws into the header since I couldn't get inside (I think 1.5 inches long from memory) and through-bolts on the joists to give me more piece of mind that the deck wouldn't come off of the house.

I should also mention that the builder put the outside wall header right over hardiplank siding, which I know is likely not ideal, but I sense might not weaken the attachment to the house.

We are about to add a second standalone deck nearby (which won't touch this one) and my old deck needs to be redecked and painted. Before I go through that effort, I want to assure this existing deck is safe and sound. Any thoughts based on what I describe above?

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 13,270

Re: 10-foot high deck - estimating safety

Need to post some pictures.
None of what you posted sounds right.
No way should the ledger (not a header) should have been installed over the siding!
Never would have passed inspection that way.
Joist never should have been notched and there should have been joist hangers instead.
Msradell and Yodaman like this.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

Re: 10-foot high deck - estimating safety

When you redeck it you have the opportunity to flash the ledger properly which may not have been done. Get some pictures like Joe says, so we can tell you what it needs.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote