10-12' Wide Patio Door Installed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

10-12' wide patio door installed

I'm going to be installing a patio door between 10-12ft wide, which will knock out quite a few studs. The wall supports a second story above. Since this is in a basement with a low ceiling, I'd like to have the narrowest header that would be sufficient to support that size of a door opening. Ideally, it would be no more than 6", and preferably closer to 4". I'd be willing to use steel I-Beams if it were possible to, but if I have to use wood for the header, what would be recommended? Also, if steel I Beam recommended for header, how can I attach the I Beam header to the supporting studs? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Advertisement

gregoryedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You can pick up advice here, but you really need to have a first hand look from a qualified contractor or inspector. You will not get a 4 inch steel I-beam to carry that load you propose, but maybe a 6...maybe. Lots of factors will be in play, such as the load above being in a gable end, sidewall, or if any of the load is carried by other factors.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Master Craftsman

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with joasis but one posibility is to replace the rim joist with a header then joist hanger the joist off of that. It will be alot of work and you will have to support the load above temporarily while it is being installed.

Dave.