Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

1.5 hp air compressor on extension cords

Mine doesn't run on 200' of 12/2 (no suprise, I know.....) Will it be ok on 200' of 10/2 extension cord? (I do not want to buy 200' of hose as i can use extension cord for oter uses more.)

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Could you rent/borrow air hose or a generator or gas powered compresser?

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
remodeling pro

It will run on 10/2, but you will have to plug into a 20 amp circuit connected right at the service panel. Plugging into a typical 15 amp house recepticle wired with 14ga wire will never work, no matter how heavy the extension is. I'd buy the air hose for two reasons. First, it is a whole lot cheaper than 200' of quality heavy gauge extension (it doesn't have to be great quality hose for one time use) , and secondly, it is a lot better for the life of the compressor motor to use additional hose instead of long extension cords.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
It will run on 10/2, but you will have to plug into a 20 amp circuit connected right at the service panel. Plugging into a typical 15 amp house recepticle wired with 14ga wire will never work, no matter how heavy the extension is. I'd buy the air hose for two reasons. First, it is a whole lot cheaper than 200' of quality heavy gauge extension (it doesn't have to be great quality hose for one time use) , and secondly, it is a lot better for the life of the compressor motor to use additional hose instead of long extension cords.
Yes, definetly a 20 amp receptacle on temp power pole....I plan on buying a roll of stranded 10/2 and make my own ext. cord so I will come out cheaper, i also need to power a well pump 200' away so it will serve a purpose the air hose can't...thanks
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
, i also need to power a well pump 200' away so it will serve a purpose the air hose can't...thanks
Before investing, check the specs on the well pump for wire sizing: that is a pretty long run, and depending on the pump, it could have a pretty substantial surge draw at start up. Also, the pump wire has to be rated for wet conditions when it is run through conduit, I don't know of any typical nm cable that is. Next time you are at store, look at the multi letter code on the spools of individual conductor wire, the letter "W" is the key, that the jacket is rated for wet conditions. Hopefully, some licensed electricians can weigh in with more info on this for you.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

that is just WAY too vauge a question to get a real answer. It may or it may not. it is possible to calculate the resistance it would see on a 10 gauge cord over 200' and get the VD at your measured current draw, then compare it to a shorter, smaller gauge cord with a comperable VD.

sometime I can't get my Dad's compressor to fire up 20' from the pannel without tripping the breaker. I'me guessing those days are low grade brownouts.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote