Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

Share |

1/4 " Drywall

Remodelling a main floor bathroom and I need to gain just very slightly under a half inch in order to get a 48" vanity into a wall to wall space. It's meant to be a shaker style vanity with granite cut 48" (so no overhang anywhere) but I need the half inch.
I'm thinking of using 1/4" drywall - I know but wait - facing the mirror, the impacted walls would be the left hand one behind the toilet and the right hand one which runs from the top of the vanity to the ceiling only (because the door is there).
Obviously, the 1/4" can't take the punishment of the 1/2" or 5/8" but does anyone have experience using it such that I should avoid it like the plague. Frankly, I didn't even know 1/4" existed but I'm willing to try it because I really don't want to give up the extra vanity space from a vanity top and a storage point of view.

Comments would be appreciated.

Pat the Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Tileguy

1/4 " Drywall

Do it!

Drywall 1/4" thick is used all the time for laminating existing drywall and it is used for doing curved walls and barrel ceilings and the like. Go for it.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Too Old

1/4 " Drywall

Any drywall around a wet area needs to be greenboard or something water resistant. Can you flat stud or something to get the room that you need?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

1/4 " Drywall

^^^^^^What he said or you can block every 12-16" behind it and that would also solve the issue of a soft wall. If it's going to be a painted surface, you can also use tempered masonite in 1/4" If using the masonite, primer with an oil base paint only.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Thumbs up

1/4 " Drywall

Thanks muchly for the quick replies.......Saturday afternoon my wife had given in to a 42" non-shaker style (shaker doesn't come in 42 where we're buying) but armed with this info and throwing some blocking behind I think she'll be wanting the 48" shaker again........thanks again.......
Pat the Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Tileguy

1/4 " Drywall

Quote:
Any drywall around a wet area needs to be greenboard or something water resistant.
Let's define "wet area".

A wet area when it comes to wall-boards is an area that has the potential of getting wet repeatedly, such as a shower or a tub surround with a shower.

The back wall of a vanity is not typically considered a wet area. The use of green-board throughout a bathroom would be the recommendation with the exception of a shower and a tub surround containing a shower. Green-board should never be used in those areas.

In reality the above statement ("Any drywall around a wet area needs to be green-board") is highly inaccurate and misleading at best.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote