Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

1/2" holes drilled every 3" inches around foundation????

We are remodling our basement and in the process removed a plastic like trim from around the bottom of the foundation. We then saw that there are these 1/2" holes drilled in the wall just above the floor every 3 inches or so. If you stick your finger in the hole you can feel water but we do not have any water in the basement. We do not have a sump pump just a couple of drains in another area of the basement near the washer. Can we fill these holes w/ hydraulic cement? Is this some type of drainage system? We want to put up drywall over the cement block and finish the floor....

amerren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

Might be for termites.

CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #3

I know that at one time the house did have termites, I think in the 70's. Is it ok to fill them in then?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Interior drainage system for a leaking wall. Is the wall block? The holes are drilled into each cavity in the blocks to let the water out. The plastic strip channels the water to a drain or sump. It's a cheap fix for a leaking block wall.

It does nothing to fix a leaky basement. It just directs the leaking water to a drain so you think your basement is not leaking.

Last edited by joed; 04-13-2010 at 07:51 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #5

ok so what can we do? I do think they must be draining into the drain at the other end of the house. We are finishing off the basement, is it ok to fill them in? We have been here 6 years and have never had a wet basement.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #6

those holes were there BECAUSE there WAS a wet bsmt at 1 time which will now probably return,,, its your home but, knowing this now, i'd be thinkin' seriously of repairing the damage done BEFORE ' finishing off the basement ',,, since its your house, you have to decide ' ok ' or ' not ok ',,, wouldn't do it in mine !

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drainage, drill holes