Z-wave? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Z-wave?

OK, kids. I needed a break from practicing my chevy-language and I have been looking at home automation systems.

I seem to be centering on Z-wave because, I can start by just buying some Z-wave switches and my Logitech remote can control it.

Is my desire to kill the person who 'updated' the electrical in my house in the 1990s clouding my judgment? Should I be looking at other systems?

My goal would be eventual whole house automation.

Any thoughts?

LFW

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Z-wave?

Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave

It gives some clarification. You said your goal is whole house automation. Are you planning to do everything wirelessly? I installed cat-6 in my home for future electronics, although I do use a wireless router.

Advertisement

Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Z-wave?

Another option (sounds similar to Z wave) is Radio RA from Lutron. Offers a number of interfaces and contact closure devices that can go from basic to whiz bang. Here's the link:http://www.lutron.com/CMS/default.aspx?appID=1054
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

Z-wave?

Home automation choices make BluRay v. HDDVD look like a school yard spat (but I guess we know how that one is Beta'ing out).

Because I am prior to step 1 in the process I am doing a lot of research. All I know for sure is that I don't want to have to learn C to make it work.

LFW
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #5

Z-wave?

Just curious, what made you decide to go in this direction? ....home automation I mean.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Z-wave?

Best way to answer the question is to list some of my goals for an automation system:

- When I enter the home at night, lights turn on;
- All lights can be turned off from a central location (even I forget the ones in the basement occasionally);
- Monitor and control heating remotely and on a timer;
- powered window shades (for those times it is too much work to lower them);
- turn crock pot on remotely

To me automation seems like an easy way to build efficiency into my electrical use (turning off lights not in use) and to add safety and security. Imagination is your only limit.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #7

Z-wave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Imagination is your only limit.
That and your pocketbook.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Z-wave?

Hey, I found this thread from your "Just for fun" thread.

I'm currently outfitting my 80+ year old house with zwave and it's going quite well. It is very reliable and the modules aren't _too_ expensive. The only issue I've found with it is that getting an electronic low-voltage dimmer costs $300, and it comes from only one company.

As long as you don't have a lot of those type of transformers, I would absolutely recommend the technology. I've been purchasing pieces from all over the internet and not really caring to stay with one particular brand. I've found homeseer's site to have very good prices - especially on a really nice multi-function dimmer switch:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Wa...ro-P17C64.aspx

I'm ordering some of these as soon as I can convince my wife that we HAVE to install under-cabinet lighting in our kitchen remodel (can you believe she's fighting me on that???). They should allow me to create multi-tap scenes where, for instance, tapping off 3 times as I leave the house would turn everything off and the porch light on.

I'm still deciding on a home automation server - but leaning towards Homeseer. That, coupled with some motion sensors will absolutely do everything you want. Having a HA server would also allow you to bridge technologies too. In case you can't find a blind motor you like in zwave, you could add a wireless x10 module and still have your zwave remote control them.

Good luck!!! Let me know how things go.
Crashless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Sparrky

Rewards Points: 75

Z-wave?

I love gadgetry in all of its many forms . . .we have here at my wee home a ton of X-10 everything . .hardware is good reliable and cheap . .software is
less than relaible . .finicky and not above hobby class . . . .that being said

when I rewired this house a few years back . .I planned on as amuch automation ans possible ..though a small home . . .we have numerous cams insoide and out . . .viewable from TV /PC . . .sensors that follow movement outside and turn each sectors cams on and off . . . activates Video recording . . . . .
call from anywhere to kick heat/AC on . . monitor al cams from any computer anywhere . . .
made light switches soemwhat obsolete . .missus and I both have personal keypads that control everything

Key chain bob that cranks lights inside and out when I pul into the drive

call from any phone to activate any device or machinery ( add contactors and you'll be surprised what you can control )

I simply love this stuff . . . . .watch Tele from the back yard. . only need power...the video from DishTV is wireless

PC to TV with any format I want to send pictures videos . .or just using the tube as an huge monitor

yeah I love the gadgetry . . . . .give me more . . . .got loads of useful gadgets in my service truck . .have made lots of test devices

more give me more

Advertisement

Kingsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote