Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #1

Share |

Your opinion please

Hey guys,

Anyone have any comments on these "wire nuts"?

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Your opinion please

I really like them and always carry an assortment of them in my electrical bag. They're pretty popular around here, even with pros. I like them because they're very DIYer friendly. They're also great when you're working in existing boxes and don't have enough slack to do a more conventional wire nut connection.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #3

Your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I really like them and always carry an assortment of them in my electrical bag. They're pretty popular around here, even with pros. I like them because they're very DIYer friendly. They're also great when you're working in existing boxes and don't have enough slack to do a more conventional wire nut connection.
That's exactly what I've found! Especially the short wires in the existing box situation. Some of these boxes....man, I can't figure out how they were able to get the wires on the receptacle!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #4

Your opinion please

Simple, you wire up the outlet, pull the wire so the outlet is in the box, screw down the outlet. Run the wire to the next outlet & connect.
I didn't know those were available
They would have come in handy at my last house - short wires
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #5

Your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Simple, you wire up the outlet, pull the wire so the outlet is in the box, screw down the outlet. Run the wire to the next outlet & connect.
I didn't know those were available
They would have come in handy at my last house - short wires
Ya, as soon as I posted my reply I thought the same thing. It still seems so weird to me to wire something like that, but I guess it probably happens more than I think by inexperienced homeowners. That's what's nice about this site - many will (hopefully) become more informed.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
DIY'er

Your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
They're also great when you're working in existing boxes and don't have enough slack to do a more conventional wire nut connection.
I got stuck with short wires in a box recently, I am sure I could have used the wagos. I crimped on insualted butt splices and heat shrinked (used some butt splices that came with heat shrink insulation attached) them. They were really easy to use and felt very secure.

Anyway, back on topic, I used wagos for all my tempoary connections, anything I know I am going to be changing in a few days. I also used them in the florscent fixtures to make the connections between the small 16/18gage wire and the 12 gage feeding it. (but have now started to use insulated crimp-on's.

Never had a problem with the wagos's the way I have used them, but I will still be making twisted wire nutted (or crimped) connections for everything permanent..

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #7

Your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
That's exactly what I've found! Especially the short wires in the existing box situation. Some of these boxes....man, I can't figure out how they were able to get the wires on the receptacle!

I found a box with about 1 inch of wire left in it. Somehow they got a wire twisted on it and nutted it. They had to remove the clamp. Made more work for me, and caused me to loose my pliers in the attic.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #8

Your opinion please

I dislike the push-on terminals. They are not as secure as wirenutting (as long as the wirenuts are done right).

That is my opinion. They are UL approved, so I suppose they're OK.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #9

Your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
Ya, as soon as I posted my reply I thought the same thing. It still seems so weird to me to wire something like that, but I guess it probably happens more than I think by inexperienced homeowners. That's what's nice about this site - many will (hopefully) become more informed.
I'm sure the person thinks (overall) - "Hey I saved a couple feet of wire!!"
I like extra wire
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #10

Your opinion please

Opinions vary, and that is understandable. Some people refuse to use I-joists because they have always used 2x10's. Some people refuse to use PEX because they've always plumbed with copper.

However, I have never seen any empirical evidence that using stab-type connectors (Wago's, Ideal's, or otherwise) are any better or worse than a wire nut. So, the fact is that they are an acceptable/listed means of permanently connecting wires.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

Your opinion please

KC, if I didn't know better I'd say our local building inspector had talked to you. I first saw these when I built our house...and he said the same thing and the fact that they were UL approved...he said go for it. I did use them in some locations...they worked well.