Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Share |

Your opinion

Hello,

I am currently roughing in my basement and I have a question about bathroom lighting. The bathroom is approx 5x7 and currently I have planned to install 2 potlights down the centre of the bathroom. I am also installing a light bar over the pedestal sink. Now should the light bar come on together with the potlights, or a separate switch. If a sep. switch is suggested where would I install it? In a 2-gang by the door or in a 2 gang together with the gfci by the sink?

Thanks.

mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Your opinion

That seems to be alot of light for such a small room. Since this is a basement bathroom, I would assume that there wouldn't be much personal grooming being done in there and I would eliminate either the can lights or the bar light...maybe install 4 4" cans.

I know I didn't specifically answer your question, but IMO, there isn't a "right" answer for you.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Your opinion

With that small a room I'd keep it simple and just have them all come on at the same time.
Still going to have to have two switchs, on for the fan one for the light.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Your opinion

I would add a separate switch for those times when you don't need all the lights.

Install the switch where it makes the most sense. I like near the doorways.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
JOATMON

Your opinion

One of the bathrooms I'm building is not much bigger...I installed a vent fan that also has a light....this is controlled off an occupancy sensor switch....the light over the sink is also has a switch...but it is off the 'On' terminal of the other switch....

In other words, you can't turn on just the sink light....you have to turn on the vent/light and then you can turn on the sink light.

For my house...this is a must...for my kids and wife do NOT know how to turn off a light....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

Your opinion

My basement bath is the two-room setup: the outer area with sink and closet, and the small inner room with the WC and tub. The outer area has the fixture over the sink mirror, and nothing else -- no overhead. The fixture over the sink puts out quite a bit of light so a separate overhead fixture really isn't necessary. The switch for that is by the door. The inner area has a fluorescent overhead and a fan, each with its own switch.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #7

Your opinion

Thanks for the replies. The potlights are the reno style that ill be installing. Irebelieve they are 3 or 4 inches. Would 4 be a good number to install and eliminate the bar light? BTW there is no fan.
mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Your opinion

Codes may be different in the US, but any bathroom without an openable window here (my area) requires a vent fan.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Your opinion

Recessed lights above a mirror create hard shadows on the brow and chin area.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

Your opinion

Where possible I like to design things so I can only turn on what is needed (or turn off what is not needed) - save energy.

So in my bathroom I have a 3 gang box with 3 switches. One switch is for the lights above the mirror, another switch is for the fan, and the 3rd switch is for the light in the bathtub area.

For most visits to the bathroom I just turn on the lights above the mirror or nothing at all if daytime.

Advanced wiring...

For my bathroom I also installed a double pole light switch for the lights above the sink, and the 2nd pole goes to the GFCI outlets around the sink. When those lights are off, it also shuts off power to the GFCI outlets (which always use a small amount of electricity). And there is a 2nd switch next to one of the GFCI outlets wired in "parallel" with the wall switch - that can be turned on to leave the outlets always on if you want - say for a night light.

And then I have a whirlpool tub which is on another GFCI. The 3rd switch at the door which operates the light above the tub is also double pole and also switches on/off the tub GFCI.

So when I am not using the bathroom, it uses zero electricity. I've done things like this around the house and that is why my electric bill was just $41 last month. (All those little gizmos which are "always on" can add up!)
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Your opinion

The code requirement for the fan is in the International Residential Code, which is in use in most states.

R303.3 Bathrooms.
Bathrooms, water closet compartments and other similar rooms shall be provided with aggregate glazing area in windows of not less than 3 square feet (0.3 m2), one-half of which must be openable.

Exception: The glazed areas shall not be required where artificial light and a mechanical ventilation system are provided. The minimum ventilation rates shall be 50 cubic feet per minute (24 L/s) for intermittent ventilation or 25 cubic feet per minute (12 L/s) for continuous ventilation. Ventilation air from the space shall be exhausted directly to the outside.

I think that a fan should be installed regardless of the window. Most people don't open windows in cold weather.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote