Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

Share |

For you gadget junkies

http://www.designnews.com/file/3555-...structions.pdf

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Tool Geek

For you gadget junkies

hayewe, Looking at those hex displays brings back a lot of memories to me. I was a Test Equipment designer starting in the 70's. I designed semi-automatic production test equipment in El Segundo where we pumped out a million circuit boards a year (that was before China)

Eventually we went to all Automatic Test Equipment but initially all the test Equipment was designed in house I used a lot of hex displays and DPM's that had BCD outputs routed to PROM's to get a Pass/Fail signal.

It was really a fun job for me, because designs were always changing so I had to come up with new ways to do things like making a production UV eraser for returned PWB's that had soldered in Eproms. I got pretty good at it so before we closed shop in 94 I was the T.E. Design Manager.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #3

For you gadget junkies

I used a lot of them too, PaliBob. I designed analog to digital converters used with load cells, pressure cells and thermocouples.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

For you gadget junkies

I noticed a couple of 74 series chips in the circuit. I haven't seen anything designed around these for a long time.

To go way back, remember the Motorola HEP series? Early 70s?

My, how things have changed!

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Tool Geek

For you gadget junkies

Hayewe, ADC’s were fun. The first Successive Approximation ADC I saw was in the middle 60’s at Douglas where I was in charge of the RW-300 computer that we used for Fourier Analysis of the 5,000 PSI hydraulic control surface systems on the Nike Zeus.

The computer was all solid state (germanium transistors & diodes—no IC’s) as was the10 bit ADC except that since stable solid state voltage reference sources were not yet available, it used a 300V VR tube divided down. The ADC took a whole multi-tiered card cage and since the ADC was 10.24V full scale, there were two card cages.

Rob, Those Motorola devices are still available:
ebay.com/(21)-NOS-Mixed-Motorola-HEP-&-Others-Semiconductors-http://cgi.ebay.com/(21)-NOS-Mixed-Motorola-HEP-&-Others-Semiconductors-N/R_W0QQitemZ120474672804QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ200909 29?IMSfp=TL090929141003r33690

I had some design ideas published in EDN using 7474 D flip-flops, 74148 encoders and 74123 One-Shots but it was even more fun using all those then new 555 timers and 741 Op Amps. Analog devices had come out with their 1st generation 4 channel PRAM which made design even more fun.

Last edited by PaliBob; 10-02-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

For you gadget junkies

I liked working with the Motorola MC's I think I still have assemblers for the 6802 and 68B09. I use to work on accounting machines that where solid state, lot of fun when they got hit by lightening.