Yikes...what Would You Do? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Yikes...what would you do?

Last night part of our house's electricity went off and then back on. The clocks in the kitchen (stove and microwave). Then in the back bedroom (not sure if they are on the same circuit) the computer was turned off. So obviously something shorted,...BUT the breaker was not tripped. I'm a bit worried about mice chewing wires (there was mice in the house when I bought it) or a fire during the night. Should this be a major concern that I need to call an electrician out or simply a surge of some sort? Would you be overly concerned??

Advertisement

DIYChick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Part of the house momentarily lost power or all of the house?

Advertisement

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Nothing shorted. I wish that people would quit using that term, when stuff does not work, or the electricity went out, without knowing what it really means. If there were storms in the area, or someone was trimming trees, and shorted a power line, or possibly a squirrel got to chewing or feel on a transformer. Last week, we had a transformer that blew its top, and popped the fuse link for that leg. It shut the power off at any house downstream from it.

Simple reason, if your power goes out, along with other houses around you, if you are in a neighborhood, write it up to a problem somewhere in your immediate area and move on.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Every electrical problem in the world is a short.
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Part of the house momentarily lost power or all of the house?
As stated above, part of the house went out. Not any of the neighborhood's other homes, just part of our house tripped, shorted, whatever term is proper here (obviously I'm not an electrician so educate me instead of saying stop using that term). As you can tell I'm a bit scared and frustrated so advice (lacking so far) would be helpful.
DIYChick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #6

Easy now, we sparkies were just playing.

If you only lost power to part of your house and it came back, there is no real way for us to answer you. Long distance guesses are worthless, since the possibilities are numerous.

If you are concerned, then yes: you should call an electrician.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

We live in a rural area and it is not uncommon for us to lose power like this.
Not an expert, but I would be more concerned if you lost power to just part of your home.

Check with your neighbors, see if it happened to them too.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYChick45 View Post
Last night part of our house's electricity went off and then back on. The clocks in the kitchen (stove and microwave). Then in the back bedroom (not sure if they are on the same circuit) the computer was turned off. So obviously something shorted,...BUT the breaker was not tripped. I'm a bit worried about mice chewing wires (there was mice in the house when I bought it) or a fire during the night. Should this be a major concern that I need to call an electrician out or simply a surge of some sort? Would you be overly concerned??
Check to see if all the things that lost power were on circuits on one side of the incoming 120/240 volt service.

What you (with the help of the electric company) need to check is the overhead line from the utility pole to your house. A loose connection up there can cause about half of the circuits in the house to lose power.

Does your computer reboot automatically if it should lose power momentarily for example be accidentally unplugged?

A break in the utility service before the pole transformer will cause your entire house to lose power at the same time.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

If you lost one leg, it is possible for one home to experience, and not others. If other neighbors also lost one leg on theirs, then there is a concern to contact the power company. I would still call them and have them check the service at the pole if you have overhead service, or transformer box if buried.

After our Ice Storm in 2006, I went and placed a whole house surge on our breaker panel, so that if we saw a surge or drop on one leg, the surge would take the hit, not the surge protectors in the house. Due to a surge during the Ice storm, we lost a circuit board in our stove, which cost around $150 to replace. So, yes get it checked out, and have an electrician also check out the house, and possibly bid a whole house surge for your breaker panel, or if the POCO offers, get one that you place under the meter on the meter can.

Also make sure that your telephone and catv are grounded to the ground rod, not to the cold water pipe, or the side of the meter can.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Every electrical problem in the world is a short.
I wish I had a picture of the Main Bus B breaker that blew the buss bar, due to not in sync, when we threw the breaker, while hooked up to shore power in Spain. Same with the ship to shore cables in Philly, that we had fun watching melt on a regular basis like clock work.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I wish I had a picture of the Main Bus B breaker that blew the buss bar, due to not in sync, when we threw the breaker, while hooked up to shore power in Spain. Same with the ship to shore cables in Philly, that we had fun watching melt on a regular basis like clock work.
Navy still use Black, White and Red for three phase?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Yep, back when I was in. Hated pulling those cables, once they got on board our LHA, due to it became man power to rack them, along with the Ship to Shore phone lines.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yep, back when I was in. Hated pulling those cables, once they got on board our LHA, due to it became man power to rack them, along with the Ship to Shore phone lines.
LHA

http://navysite.de/ships/lha.htm

Correct?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Yeah. Mine is now scrap metal. Decommissioned in 2007 (USS Saipan). I dealt mostly with Ship Com's and Shipboard Navigational, along with Flight Deck Landing assist aids.

Advertisement

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-15-2011 at 02:11 PM.