DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Yellow Jacket Romex

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DangerMouse 
#1 ·
Is the yellow jacket Romex only used with 20 ga. wire?
Does anyone know what year (approximate) the yelow jacket was first used in the U.S.?

#2 ·
it is the color commonly used with 12 awg but there is no code so it is not a reliable means to determine the gage.

no idea when it started but since it is not a code requirement, it likely started with one manufacturer and was eventually picked up by all the major producers. That could have taken any number of years before the followers finally started doing it.

#9 ·
Undersized grounding conductors are found in very OLD NM cables, dating back to before the 1971 NEC went into effect.

In Canada, their type NM-D cable still utilizes undersized grounding conductors ... a #14 ground is present in a #12 cable.

#10 ·
I found/have/had some of that (with hard to read black sheathing.) I DID re-use some at the end of my wiring job here on 2 short switch runs, but I stripped out extra white and spray-painted it green and ran that as a ground to make sure the inspector did not fail me. He allowed it.

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.