Yadeal - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

yadeal

Hi, My bathroom has 3 switches, the first turns on the light, the second turns on the fan the third turns on a fan plus heater. I was so proud yesterday that I was able to install 2 timer switches for the fan and heater plus fan. While I'm not an expert I do love to fix things and I got most of it figured out. The guy who built the bathroom 2 years ago installed the wiring, etc. Should'nt there be a ground wire on each switch? All three of the old on/off switches had only red and black wires hooked up. Behind the switches there is separate wiring with neutral, ground , etc wires connected to 3 large wire nuts. installing thd new timers I connected a ground wire and neutral to the separate wiring. Everything works. The 1st switch has no ground on it. I think I should connect a ground wire on the old on/ off switch. Is it possible that the wiring behind these switches grounds everything before it gets to the switches?. Perhaps this is why the contracter did not install ground wires on the on/ off switches. Otherwize it is done wrong and I will check all the electrical connections in the hose. Logic tells me all wall switches need a ground connected. Thanks so much.

Advertisement

yadeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

yadeal

Switches are now required to be grounded, but didn't used to be. Many people still don't do it. It's really a minimal hazard unless a metal plate is installed. Assuming the switches have grounding connections, you can connect them if you feel like fixing it.

Advertisement

yadeal (01-06-2013)