DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Y-socket adapters in the garage - safe with CFLs?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vsheetz 
#1 · (Edited)
My garage has two Type A ceiling sockets powered off a single switch. I'm currently using two 60W equivalent CFLs, each with a 13 watt current draw. The garage is a bit dim to work in, and I thought of a simple way to double the light output: I'd like to run two 13 watt CFLs (60W light equivalent) per socket using a Y adapter - so four lights total across the two sockets. Are "Y" socket adapters like this one safe to use with CFLs?

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-128-I-Lampholder-Lampholder-Adapters/dp/B001ATG0JU/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

I don't think there's any increased fire risk if I go with good quality "Y" adapters (e.g., UL listed, Leviton brand, not made in China, 660W max draw). Each of the ceiling sockets is currently rated to handle 60W incandescent bulbs (so 120W total on the circuit). With four CFLs plugged into two Y adapters, the current draw shouldn't exceed 13W x 4, or 52 watts total (26 watts per light socket).

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Is there anything about CFLs that make them incompatible with Y socket adapters? I know you're not supposed to use CFLs with "dusk to dawn" light sensor adapters, and was wondering if there's anything similarly weird that applies to Y socket adapters. I don't think there's an issue, but figured it couldn't hurt to check with you guys before attempting it.

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
That's a great suggestion, Red Squirrel. Thanks. I stopped by Ace Hardware on my way home and picked up a couple of the Y socket adapters ($6.50 with tax for 2). This simple, inexpensive solution has already brightened up the garage a lot with 60 watt equivalent CFL bulbs.

I'm going to see if I can pick up some 100 watt equivalent CFLs as you suggest. That should be more than bright enough for my needs.

#6 ·
My garage has two Type A ceiling sockets powered off a single switch. I'm currently using two 60W equivalent CFLs, each with a 13 watt current draw. The garage is a bit dim to work in, and I thought of a simple way to double the light output: I'd like to run two 13 watt CFLs (60W light equivalent) per socket using a Y adapter - so four lights total across the two sockets. Are "Y" socket adapters like this one safe to use with CFLs?

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-128-I-Lampholder-Lampholder-Adapters/dp/B001ATG0JU/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

I don't think there's any increased fire risk if I go with good quality "Y" adapters (e.g., UL listed, Leviton brand, not made in China, 660W max draw). Each of the ceiling sockets is currently rated to handle 60W incandescent bulbs (so 120W total on the circuit). With four CFLs plugged into two Y adapters, the current draw shouldn't exceed 13W x 4, or 52 watts total (26 watts per light socket).

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Is there anything about CFLs that make them incompatible with Y socket adapters? I know you're not supposed to use CFLs with "dusk to dawn" light sensor adapters, and was wondering if there's anything similarly weird that applies to Y socket adapters. I don't think there's an issue, but figured it couldn't hurt to check with you guys before attempting it.

Thanks!
There are now available "dusk to dawn" light sensors that are specifically designed to work with CFL's. As well as CFL's designed for outdoor use. I changed a couple of my workshop's exterior lights over to such a setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.