Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

xenon undercabinet lights using romex

Hello, i am installing 3 NSL xenon direct wire undercabinet lights in a row. After running 12/2 romex cable through the back knockout of the first light to bring in 120 v power, can i just run the romex inside the channel in the fixture ( where the wires are and 12v transformer ) to the seond and third lights through the side knock outs in parallel daisy chain fashion , instead of running in and out of the back knockouts to each fixture. my question is will it get very hot in the fixture that it would damage the jacket on the romex, or will i be ok. thanks for the help so not to confusde anyone can I daisy chain fixtures from one to another by running NM cable from the side knockout of one fixture to the side knockout of a nearbye fixture without having to the return the NM cable back through the wall?

Last edited by robin hood; 02-26-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
robin hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin hood View Post
Hello, i am installing 3 NSL xenon direct wire undercabinet lights in a row. After running 12/2 romex cable through the back knockout of the first light to bring in 120 v power, can i just run the romex inside the channel in the fixture ( where the wires are and 12v transformer ) to the seond and third lights through the side knock outs in parallel daisy chain fashion , instead of running in and out of the back knockouts to each fixture. my question is will it get very hot in the fixture that it would damage the jacket on the romex, or will i be ok. thanks for the help so not to confusde anyone can I daisy chain fixtures from one to another by running NM cable from the side knockout of one fixture to the side knockout of a nearbye fixture without having to the return the NM cable back through the wall?
I don't see a problem with it, if the fixture is rated for it. You you want to strip the jacket off the romex and of course use a connector every place it enters or exits the fixture. The worry here would probably be the cubic inch volume of the wire space.

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

so i do have to strip the jacket off the romex if it remains in the fixture? i only have 12/2 wire so there won't be many wires running in the box. when i strip the covering off, is it ok to leave the non covered copper ground open in the box with no sheathing? thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
so i do have to strip the jacket off the romex if it remains in the fixture? i only have 12/2 wire so there won't be many wires running in the box. when i strip the covering off, is it ok to leave the non covered copper ground open in the box with no sheathing? thanks
yes, and yes

InPhase277
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

thanks, are you sure i don't need to put electrica tape around the ground so it doesn't move around in the fixture ? thanks again for your help
Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
thanks, are you sure i don't need to put electrica tape around the ground so it doesn't move around in the fixture ? thanks again for your help
I am positive you don't have to put tape on the ground, because the whole metal frame of the fixture is already connected to it. However, it certainly won't hurt to put tape on it if it makes you feel better

InPhase277
Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #7

inphase277

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP ! APPRECIATE IT.

robin hood