DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Xenon Bulbs

Tags
xenon
5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  griffjj 
#1 ·
I need to replace the bulbs in my bathroom wall sconces. On the fixtures it says, "Max 50 Watts Xenon Lamp Type T4." The bulbs that came with the fixture are 50W, but I am having trouble finding replacements. I can get a 40W T4, or a 50W T5. I'm wondering if there is any reason I could not use the 50W T5. It's just a different shape bulb, right?

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
I'm not exactly sure how the T4 and T5 compare but of course the new lamp must fit in the socket. If the glass bulb is bigger, there must still be at least half an inch of space all the way around it (50 watt lamps) for air to circulate and prevent overheating of the fixture.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Allan. The T5 that I found would definitely fit in the socket as it has the same base as the T4 that came with the fixture. As for there being 1/2" of space all the way around the lamp, that seems to have been violated already by the T4 that is in there currently. At one point there is only 3/16" of space between the bulb and the fixture. So I'm not sure how important that is, considering that this is the bulb that the manufacturer provided.

Anyone else have any idea if I can use a T5 instead of a T4? Or if you know where I can get a 50W T4 with BA15D DC bayonet twist lock base, that would be cool too. I can't seem to find one, so I'm hoping the T5 is an acceptable substitute.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Alright, I received confirmation from another source that the only difference between the T4 and the T5 is the shape of the glass bulb. Apparently T4 = tubular shape 4/8" wide glass, while T5 = tubular 5/8" wide glass. This guy seemed to think that there should be no issue as long as the base is the same, which it is.

Does anyone have anything else to add before I buy these T5s? If they are in fact 1/8" larger, then at the nearest point they would be 1/16" from the base of the fixture. Would this be a concern? Allan indicated that there should be 1/2" all the way around, but that's not even the case with the T4s that came with the fixture. I'm just trying to keep the bathroom lit up without burning down the house.

Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.