Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 24
Share |
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


I'm moving new house with lots of remodeling and now I found the automation system is really cool.



I want to control

4~7 lights (including recessed lights with dim)

HVAC

Security Camera

Alarm system (option)

More DIY style and Iphone and Ipad control possible.




Also, my budget is under $ 1000.. Any idea or suggestion.?

Thanks Pros....

5taehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Springfield OH
Posts: 768
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


I use insteon and am pretty satisfied. There are so many factors that affect price and your description of your needs are a little vague. So you want to "control" some lights and thermostat. How? Through PC? Remotely? TV universal remote? Touchpads? Based on time? Motion? Sensors?

Without knowing your specific needs...

7 switches = about $300
thermostat = about $200
ISY-99 whole house controller = about $350
IP cam = $100 on up
Elk security system = $700
sensors for secuity system = $10 on up each

I suspect you are going to have to be very selective and specific about the capability that you want in order to stay under budget.

You should also check out cocoontech for general automation forums. If you are pretty certain about your interest in insteon, check out smarthome forums and universal devices forums.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oberkc For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 24
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
I use insteon and am pretty satisfied. There are so many factors that affect price and your description of your needs are a little vague. So you want to "control" some lights and thermostat. How? Through PC? Remotely? TV universal remote? Touchpads? Based on time? Motion? Sensors?

Without knowing your specific needs...

7 switches = about $300
thermostat = about $200
ISY-99 whole house controller = about $350
IP cam = $100 on up
Elk security system = $700
sensors for secuity system = $10 on up each

I suspect you are going to have to be very selective and specific about the capability that you want in order to stay under budget.

You should also check out cocoontech for general automation forums. If you are pretty certain about your interest in insteon, check out smarthome forums and universal devices forums.

Big thanks. I'm sorry for lack of information what I want to do...

Yes, I'm researching of Insteon right now. and I like to start with starter kit.

I like to install 4 different places lighting control (all recessed lights)

and thermostat control mainly.. I like to control by 8 buttons switch around front gate..

and I like to control by Iphone simply...(it is cool)

Also, I like to install sprinkler by home automation, so

I can set up regular setting like daily or weekly

and when Im on vacation, I can give a water with my iphone control.


also, I like to set up motion sensor light on my drive way,

so I can set up motion sensor light work only after sunset,

like this set up, I think insteon is good choice, how do you think.?

but I wonder what is different between ISY-99 and # 2412N (central control)



Do we need both? or only one?



Thanks Oberkc..
5taehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Springfield OH
Posts: 768
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


So, it sounds like security is not high on your list. Lighting and HVAC control is your initial priority.

First, you don't need both controllers. The ISY will do what the 2412 will do, but also more. 2412 is limited, in general, to time based automation (turn something on or off at certain times). The ISY adds the ability to turn things on or off based on time and other conditions. Based on what you describe, the 2412 will not meet your needs. Motion sensor triggering lights but only at certain times of the day is a conditional program, not supported by the 2412.

Fortunately, the ISY supports mobile devices, including the iPhone. I don't use the iPhone, but I understand there is an app for it. Other features in which you may be interested in is a weatherbug module, which allows you to include weather conditions as triggers for insteon commands. For example, you could automate the sprinklers to come on only in the morning on select days and only if there has not been much rain in the last week. The ISY would also allow you to define a keypad button as a status for home/away and use that for conditions in a program.

I cannot help directly with the sprinkler system, but this is a pretty common use for insteon systems and whole-house controllers.

If your budget is tight, you could choose to start off with the 2412. The motion sensors have light sensors built in, but you are more limited in the programming logic if you rely on the built-in capability. My perception is that both are nice devices, but the 2412 is relatively limited and I suspect that you would outgrow it and wish you had that money to put towards an ISY-99.

Regardless of controller, you will need a thermostat that speaks insteon. The common one seems to be the venstar with thermostat adapter.

Please head over to universal devices forum and check it all out. There is much to see.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 24
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
So, it sounds like security is not high on your list. Lighting and HVAC control is your initial priority.

First, you don't need both controllers. The ISY will do what the 2412 will do, but also more. 2412 is limited, in general, to time based automation (turn something on or off at certain times). The ISY adds the ability to turn things on or off based on time and other conditions. Based on what you describe, the 2412 will not meet your needs. Motion sensor triggering lights but only at certain times of the day is a conditional program, not supported by the 2412.

Fortunately, the ISY supports mobile devices, including the iPhone. I don't use the iPhone, but I understand there is an app for it. Other features in which you may be interested in is a weatherbug module, which allows you to include weather conditions as triggers for insteon commands. For example, you could automate the sprinklers to come on only in the morning on select days and only if there has not been much rain in the last week. The ISY would also allow you to define a keypad button as a status for home/away and use that for conditions in a program.

I cannot help directly with the sprinkler system, but this is a pretty common use for insteon systems and whole-house controllers.

If your budget is tight, you could choose to start off with the 2412. The motion sensors have light sensors built in, but you are more limited in the programming logic if you rely on the built-in capability. My perception is that both are nice devices, but the 2412 is relatively limited and I suspect that you would outgrow it and wish you had that money to put towards an ISY-99.

Regardless of controller, you will need a thermostat that speaks insteon. The common one seems to be the venstar with thermostat adapter.

Please head over to universal devices forum and check it all out. There is much to see.


Thanks for helpful advice...

Do I need only this one?

Easily Set up and Manage an INSTEON® Network Locally or Remotely from a Standard Internet ConnectionISY-99i INSTEON® Compatible Automation Controller





or need combo like this one?



ISY-99i INSTEON Compatible Automation Controller with Dual-Band PLM


ISY-99i INSTEON Compatible Automation Controller with Dual-Band PLM26 customer ratings:Item# 12231DBPrice: Normally $386.98
Hot Deal $348.28
In StockQty: Add to Wish ListAdd to CompareFree shipping on orders over $200 details






Thanks ~
5taehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Springfield OH
Posts: 768
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


All controllers, including the ISY-99 require the PLM, so you need the combo if you don't have one. It is the PLM that transmits the insteon commands over the powerlines. In addition, the newest version require a power supply. I think the standard combo kit at smarthome has all three items included.

Pay attention, also, to dual-band devices or, alternatively, access points. Most insteon installations had difficulty jumping from one electrical leg to another. Most insteon installation require an RF device on each leg. This can be an access point, or a dual-band device. Most of the starter kits include these, but make sure yours does.

If you have a lot of computer equipment, especially a UPS or surge protector, plan also to get at least one filter. Such devices are commonly found to cause problems with insteon signals, especially if you do as most do: plugging in your PLM in the same outlet as your computer equipment.

Start slow. Install the ISY and a couple of insteon devices and get them working. Learn how they work. Add from there. It is fun and addicting. You will continue to expand your system. Garage door sensors. Motion sensors. Home and away scenes. Winter and summer scenes. Landscape lighting. Panic buttons. Christmas lighting. Email alerts.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oberkc For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 24
Default

X10 or Insteon or Lutron ? Automation suggestion?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
All controllers, including the ISY-99 require the PLM, so you need the combo if you don't have one. It is the PLM that transmits the insteon commands over the powerlines. In addition, the newest version require a power supply. I think the standard combo kit at smarthome has all three items included.

Pay attention, also, to dual-band devices or, alternatively, access points. Most insteon installations had difficulty jumping from one electrical leg to another. Most insteon installation require an RF device on each leg. This can be an access point, or a dual-band device. Most of the starter kits include these, but make sure yours does.

If you have a lot of computer equipment, especially a UPS or surge protector, plan also to get at least one filter. Such devices are commonly found to cause problems with insteon signals, especially if you do as most do: plugging in your PLM in the same outlet as your computer equipment.

Start slow. Install the ISY and a couple of insteon devices and get them working. Learn how they work. Add from there. It is fun and addicting. You will continue to expand your system. Garage door sensors. Motion sensors. Home and away scenes. Winter and summer scenes. Landscape lighting. Panic buttons. Christmas lighting. Email alerts.

Thank you, Master, I will study more. and buy combo one.!!!!

5taehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Ra 2 ChrisDIY Electrical 60 08-13-2011 10:19 PM
Home Automation williamj001 Electrical 2 05-27-2011 07:41 AM
Help with Lutron Maestro IR dimmers jkr77 Electrical 5 02-28-2011 08:38 AM
Wiring a Lutron remote off and on oletrout Electrical 5 07-23-2009 10:57 PM
Lutron Satin Snow compares to Cooper Satin white tomas21 Electrical 2 09-16-2008 03:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.