Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Is this wrong?

I have this (not sure what to call it) distribution panel as a first box after meter. Then the breaker panel inside the wall behind. Note that the breaker box has the grounds and neutrals bonded to the same row of connectors on either side and there is a jumper connecting them and everything is bonded to ground. At the inside breaker box shouldn't the grounds and neutrals have been separated? Does the box on the outside not count as the first box after the meter in this installation? If it matters there is a mix of old non grounded circuits and newer grounded circuits. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this wrong?-outside.jpg   Is this wrong?-inside.jpg  
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #2

Is this wrong?

Sorry I had to re-read your question. Yes you are right. The bonding of the neutral and ground happens in the service panel. (the top picture). The subsequent panel inside is considered a sub panel. In a sub panel the neutrals and grounds should be separated.

Last edited by J. V.; 08-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Is this wrong?

Not only is it incorrect to have the grounds and neutrals on the same bar in that panel, but they are in the same hole as well
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

Is this wrong?

Suspected as much based on what I have learned here over the last few months. I appreciate your knowledgeable contributions to the foruml Would this have been okay say 25 years ago? I believe that's about the approximate age of the work.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #5

Is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Would this have been okay say 25 years ago? I believe that's about the approximate age of the work.
Nope, not then either
Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Is this wrong?

Thanks, Been like that for a long time, do you recommend I go ahead and separate the grounds and neutrals after all this time?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Not only is it incorrect to have the grounds and neutrals on the same bar in that panel, but they are in the same hole as well
There is another major fundamental error in this original installation. There's no color coding on feeders entering the distribution box. The Neutral is colored Black. And so are the other, Ungrounded wires! (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #8

Is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Thanks, Been like that for a long time, do you recommend I go ahead and separate the grounds and neutrals after all this time?
I guess it depends on how much work is involved with getting a new ground wire installed. If I were even going to bother doing it, I would run an all new 4-wire feed, and clean up the panel all at once. Straighten all the rats' nest of wires up, and tidy up.

At the very least, I'd put the grounds and neutrals in their own holes on the bar.