Worst fire hazard I've seen - Mice + Trailer 12v power supply!
I saw the worst "fire waiting to happen" I've ever seen...
A friend called me over to look at the wiring in a travel trailer he is living in. I went poking around and found a 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC power supply. A lot of the lighting and so forth in the trailer is 12 volts DC and this power supply (1 ft. long - big) powers all that.
Anyway some mice apparently liked the warmth of the power supply coming out the top air vents, so decided to build a nest of small paper fragments there. All this shredded paper fell down the vent holes to completely fill up the insides of the power supply.
So now you have blocked vents - even more heat - and handy dandy paper fragments there waiting to catch fire. This was below a plywood board on top of which was a mattress!
Anyway I said... 1. We are cleaning every scrap of paper out of there. And 2. I am not leaving here until a smoke detector is installed on that ceiling! (Yes, no smoke detector in the trailer!)
Anyway all fixed and smoke detector installed.
So if you have a travel trailer or various sorts of electrical devices which are vented to dissipate the heat, and have mice in the area, check those vents every now and then to be sure air can circulate.
Also install smoke detectors in your travel trailers!
Under one minute I have personally seen those trailer totally destroyed. Less than ten minutes they are burned to the frame. I just bought 3 dozen smke alarms with the ten year batteries. Hopefully my tenants will be to lazy to steal them.