Workbench Light... Switch Chained From Nearby Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Workbench light... switch chained from nearby outlet

Is this okay...

Power comes into garage... goes to outlet #1 (not GFCI... freezer plugged in there)... goes to outlet #2 (20 amp GFCI)... from there to a switch... from switch to fluorescent workbench light.

The wire appears to be 12-2... but I cannot read anything on it. The house was built in '79.

Advertisement

Koellert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

No problem.

You can measure the diameter of the wire with a micrometer (I don't have the size table handy). If any wire in the circuit (except the wires from the light fixture lamp sockets and ballast) is smaller than 12 gauge then the entire circuit can have at most a 15 amp breaker.

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,504

Current code does require all garage receptacles to be GFCI, even if a fridge or freezer is plugged into it. It was probably not required in 1979 when the house was built so you are grandfathered.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ
No problem.

You can measure the diameter of the wire with a micrometer (I don't have the size table handy). If any wire in the circuit (except the wires from the light fixture lamp sockets and ballast) is smaller than 12 gauge then the entire circuit can have at most a 15 amp breaker.
Why not just use a set of wire strippers and try to slide it into the 14 slot(stranded or solid, many use different sizing for wire type so be sure to make sure its the right spot for your particular type). If it doesn't fit its twelve or your strippers are very worn, one of the two :D
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
k_buz (08-21-2012)