DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood shop 100 amp sub panel

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
DIY members, just wanting to run this by you guys on my plans to upgrade the panel in my wood shop. The situation is my main panel is attached to a pedestal along side my meter. ( I live in a mobile home ) Right now the wood shop (a detached building) is fed with a double pole 40 amp breaker [ #8 AWG NM-B copper inside 1 1/4" conduit, [ I know its not code, but we're gonna change that ] about 50' in length] I installed coming from the 200 amp service that also powers my mobile home. The panel in my mobile home is a 100 amps. My plan is to install another 100 amp sub panel [ powered with #2 AWG THHN copper with neutral and equipment ground, from lugs at the base of the buss bars in the 200 amp main panel ] to replace the existing small panel in the wood shop I am using now. What I want to do is use the same small panel and move it to the other end of the shop using the same 40 amp breaker with the #8 feeder that exist now and be ready for the future shop expansion I'm planning for the spring. It will be used for a lighting circuits and dedicated GFI protected wall and exterior recepticles. One of the questions I have, will I have to install two more grounding rods where the second sub panel is going ? Also, I want to use some EMT conduit ( 1/2" w/ 4 #12 THHN wires ) to surface mount a couple of 220v receptacles. The interior walls of my shop are sheathed with 1/2" CDX. What is the proper way to exit the wall bay ? [LB inside wall bay, short length of EMT to another LB on the outside ? ] I know this is a long winded request, but I wanted to try and get all the info you guys might need to help me out ! Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
In my original post I failed to state the proper size feeder to my sub panel. Actually it's 2/0 AWG THHN, and now I realize its still too small. I'll use a 100 amp breaker at the main to feed the sub, also with a 100 amp main breaker. Thanks oleguy74. Would sure like to meet rrolleston with his special discount and that "cocky attitude" of his ! Sounds like he needs a little tune-up. People from Grandville, what do you expect ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.