DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood close to Non-IC recessed lighting-solution?

19K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  acer66 
#1 ·
I'm installing some recessed lighting in an upper room (attic space) in my garage. The rafters are 2x6 and the wood planks for the roof are visible on top of them. I can see the tar paper between the 1/4" gaps in the planks. I'd like to install some Non-IC recessed lights in this roof area. I also want to drywall the ceiling but will have to drop it an inch or so to get the appropriate gap between the light and the wood.

My concern is that even though the gap between the light and wood will match the Non-IC spec, the wood is so old that I would think the heat would still possibly cause a fire. The paperwork says there needs to be 1/2" gap between it and any combustible material and 6" to any insulation. The light canister is very small - it's not a HALO type. It's like a 3" cylinder and 4" or so high with a small junction box mounted on the top of the light. The junction box seems like it would be a buffer between the heat from the light cylinder and the wood but they don't say anything about it working like that.

If I put a 14 1/2" (rafters are 16" centers) square piece of sheet metal between the light and the wood will that do anything to prevent the wood from catching fire? I guess my thinking is that it'll diffuse the heat a bit and spread it out over a wider area instead of it being concentrated on the narrow area directly over the light. If not sheet metal, is there a better material that would do what I need it to do?

They don't make this recessed light in an IC package. I'd have to go with a totally different style of light which wouldn't make my wife happy.

See less See more
#4 ·
Those sound like Emerald or Commercial Electric brand (same thing) cans. If so, and safety is a concern of yours, take them back. That's all I have to say about that.

Don't have any experience with Emerald, but second you on Commercial Electric. Stay as far away from that junk as you can get.

I don't think there would be any problem with any of the 5" or less fixtures producing enough heat to be dangerous.

#3 ·
MDSHUNK,
I have never bought the Commercial Electric cans you refer to but they are all over "the depot" and the other big boxes...All the electricans around here pull out the submachine guns when they are mentioned...tell me more, if you please, for the benefit of the post and so I can properly steer friends and family away.

#5 ·
simular issue here, 4" non-ic recessed lights almost touching the rafters, weren`t used so far (took over a job where contractor ran off) during a test run over the day the wood didn`t really get warm but i want to be on the save side so i am debating with myself if i should move `em, any thoughts on this ?

thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.