Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring xenon puck lights...

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to wire 4 12-volt xenon puck lights to a transformer. I have constructed a pot rack which includes the puck lights - they're all installed. The transformer is a 150W Electronic Transformer - output 12 Volts.

Wiring the input side of the transformer is easy because there are three wires - Black, White and Green, corresponding to the romex house wire (which leads to an electronic low-voltage dimmer wall switch which is installed).

What I'm not understanding is the output side of the transformer, which has two Blue wires. My first question is, is one of these blue wires hot and the other neutral? They are not marked in any way that differentiates them except that there are some words printed on one of the wires, but I'm pretty sure that just says something about what kind of wire it is. There are no marks on the transformer casing that distinguishes one blue wire from the other.

In addition, each xenon puck light has two identical white wires coming out of it (these are not part of a "kit" with clips at the ends of the wires) with no marks anywhere distinguishing the two.

So, my questions are:

1) Do I just take one wire from each puck and attach it to either blue transformer output wire, and the rest to the other blue transformer output wire? or...

2) Do I "daisy link" the puck lights, ie. Start with either of the blue transformer output wires, connect it to either white wire of the first puck light, then connect the other white wire from that same puck light to either wire of the next puck light, and continue that process until I come to the last puck light, and then attach the last puck wire to the other blue transformer wire, forming a big circle; transformer blue wire 1 - puck light 1 - puck light 2 - puck light 3 - puck light 4 - transformer blue wire 2?

Thanks for any help with this!

PS - I bought all the components (electronic low-voltage dimmer, transformer and puck lights) from an electronics supply store, explaining how I was going to use them, so I'm pretty sure they are all correct for this application. I just need to know how to wire them together properly.

Last edited by Bagatelle; 12-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Bagatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

One side should have some ribbing on it. If you can post manufacturer & numbers of the equipment, along with pictures, it could allow others to provide help. Didn't any instructions come with the equipment?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Here are some photos. I don't feel any ribbing on any of the wires.

This one shows writing on one of the blue wires, but again, I thinks it's just brand and wire info:

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Here is the company that makes that transformer. http://lightechinc.com/
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Thanks, Greg. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any wiring instructions on their website (I checked it out yesterday). I'm going back to the electronics store where I bought all the components tomorrow to ask them how to hook these up and if I still need help I'll email the transformer company. I was just hoping someone here might have had the answer so I could get this done over the weekend. Better to wait and get it right.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT - PROBLEM SOLVED! I did find a diagram on Lightech, Greg, so thank you again. I also made a call to my electrician (one-of-a-kind - super professional with the best customer care) who kindly answered my last question about whether there is a hot and neutral on the 12 volt side of the transformer (answer was no, so the answer to my original question was to hook them up the first way I described).

Last edited by Bagatelle; 12-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagatelle For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Just remember, that with DC it is a Negative & Positive. Usually the writing on the one wire will designate the polarity of current flow.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

I'm still a little confused about the transformer. At first I had assumed it converted AC to DC, but now I think that's not the case (especially because there turned out to be no plus and minus or hot and neutral on the output side and the two output wires were interchangeable), but rather that it just steps down the voltage and it remains AC. Anyway, I appreciate all your comments, Greg. Here's a photo of the finished product. My partner made the pot rack from wood and a metal shelf he bought at The Container Store. Success!