DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring for work space

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  diydude1 
#1 ·
Currently used bedroom, but trying to convert a corner for hobby work and etc. I want to install another outlet and a switch for an overhead light. The room is on a 15a. breaker that shares with a bathroom light only. So I shouldn't have a problem with overloads. Although, when the house was built, it only has 1 outlet on each wall, 4 total. The one I want to use is behind a bed, so I want to "move it" without going into the walls.
I drew a diagram of what I want and where. Are the plans good?

I need a way to tap into the outlet without going into the walls. Is there a metal "box extender" similar to wiremold that will screw over a plastic j-box in the wall. It needs to accept surface mount 1/2" or 3/4" EMT metal conduit that will run 14 gauge THHN/THWN to the outlets and switch.

I also will have a GFCI on the first outlet near the desk for the other too "not including the light" since I work with water/paint too.

See less See more
#4 ·
you want a 'Handy Box' extension ring. not the prettiest things but it will work for your application.

Thanks! That is it! I was looking everywhere, and searching different things. This is exactly what I need! Not too concerned about looks. Its kinda turning into a "hobby, bedroom, workshop". :laughing:

I would use wiremold, because it will look better.
Not too concerned about looks. So regular conduit would be fine. I'm gonna paint it anyway. Its kinda turning into a "hobby, bedroom, workbench". Half is bedroom, half is a mini workshop in the corner. The conduit route is also cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.