DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   wiring a whirlpool cooktop (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-whirlpool-cooktop-147238/)

davidtyson 06-16-2012 10:33 AM

wiring a whirlpool cooktop
 
I have a whirlpool cooktop....it has four wires....red, black, white, and green.......my house has three wires...white, black and bare copper ground.

The old cooktop had a black wire attached to the black house wire, a red wire attached to the white house wire and the bare ground attached to the bare ground house wire.

The wiring diagram puts black stove wire to black house wire, the red stove wire to the red house wire, the green or bare wire to the white house wire...this doesn't attach the white stove wire to anything?

Senerio 1: black stove and red stove wires to black house wire, white stove wire to white house wire and green stove wire to bare ground wire from house.

Senerio 2: black stove wire to black house wire, red stove wire to white house wire, green wire and white wires from stove to bare copper house wire.

stickboy1375 06-16-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtyson (Post 944747)
my house has three wires...white, black and bare copper ground.

.

Is this a CABLE feeding the old unit? Take a picture of the junction box.

It sounds like you are out of luck though, and are going to have to run a new circuit.

Jim Port 06-16-2012 12:33 PM

Do the instructions say anything about a bond strap and 3 wire setups? Was your old appliance 240 volt only?

stickboy1375 06-16-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 944866)
Do the instructions say anything about a bond strap and 3 wire setups? Was your old appliance 240 volt only?

I don't think his existing branch circuit is type SE cable, i'm betting his old cooktop was strictly 240v... hence the bare copper grounding conductor, and the "white" conductor.

Protocol. 06-16-2012 03:23 PM

I agree with stickboy. Sounds like you're going to need to run new cable.

Jim Port 06-16-2012 05:23 PM

I think so too but was looking for confirmation.

frenchelectrican 06-17-2012 01:43 AM

What the nameplate rating of this new counter cooktop unit is ?

And is this unit required both 120/240 volts or just straight 240 volts that will make the difference on how to properly termated them.

And finally the last part is what size conductor you have in there?

Merci,
Marc

stickboy1375 06-17-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 945257)
What the nameplate rating of this new counter cooktop unit is ?

And is this unit required both 120/240 volts or just straight 240 volts that will make the difference on how to properly termated them.

And finally the last part is what size conductor you have in there?

Merci,
Marc

Since his new cooktop has a black, red, white, and green conductors, I'm pretty sure its a 120/240v unit. :)

frenchelectrican 06-17-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 945259)
Since his new cooktop has a black, red, white, and green conductors, I'm pretty sure its a 120/240v unit. :)

That pretty much true but the biggest question with the OP's part is the type of cable that will make the differnce if he have NM or SE cable but I feel that the OP did have NM cable due the SE cable have to mark black et white which it is very rare.

Merci,
Marc


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved