Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring for a wall mount flat screen

I am in the process of creating a built in entertainment center, shelving unit, and cabinets in my basement. The basement was finished by the previous owner as an office area with a closet. After pulling up the old carpet and tearing out the drywall around the closet and exposing the framing, I began to frame the entertainment center, shelving unit, and cabinets. The shelves will be on either side of where the TV will mount and as you can see, one of the shelving units hides one of the sump pumps (the other pump is in the opposite corner of the basement and will not be a part of the finished room)-the other will simply have dead space behind it. Below the center area where the TV will mount will be cabinets which will hide all of the extraneous TV equipment (cable box, DVD player, videogame system, etc...), so basically all I want to see is the TV mounted on the wall and nothing else, no wires of any kind:

Power to the TV is simple enough-a receptacle will be placed directly behind where the mount will bolt to the wall, but I will also need to run coaxial cable, HDMI cable, PC input cable, and USB cable in order to take advantage of all of the capabilities of the screen. Obviously coaxial cable is OK for in-wall use, but what about the others? If they are not would it be permissible to run wires inside conduit in the wall? Basically the cables will need to drop about 3' in the wall until they reach the cabinet below. Also, inside the cabinet I would like to install at least 2 receptacles in order to supply power to the TV equipment. Is that something that usually permissible? I realize that local code may vary, but I'm just trying to get some guidance before I go forward.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Whatever you do, make sure you provide a way to replace the cables when the standards change and/or they go bad. If you don't need to insulate the cavity, you could frame out a box with 1x lumber to drop the cables through (a "chase").

Regarding "hiding" the cable box and so forth -- make sure you provide a way for the IR signal to get to them (for the remote controls) and some of those things get hot. My DVD player, for instance, has a cooling fan in it.

If you're going to enclose it then you need to vent it. Even if it's not a fire hazard, it will wear out faster if you run it hot.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I highly recommend a surge protected outlet. They do make and in wall setup. We had a customer have the neutral come off from the service entrance and everything blew. All the tv's were surge protected. Just want you to protect your investment. Panamax makes great surge protectors.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
I highly recommend a surge protected outlet. They do make and in wall setup. We had a customer have the neutral come off from the service entrance and everything blew. All the tv's were surge protected. Just want you to protect your investment. Panamax makes great surge protectors.
Good points, but in the in-wall surges can get expensive. I'd rather use something like this that allows the 120V pass through and the opening for the wire pass through. Also, it allows the TV to be UPS protected.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Here is thread with pictures of the back of my setup.
rerouting boxes for lcd wall mount

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-12-2010 at 04:39 AM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

The panamax has that built in for the low voltage wire to pass through
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote