Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

wiring an in-wall heater

We have a cadet series in wall heater ( 240v version ). The wiring instructions are lame, and the hours of their service department are even more lame.

We've searched and searched and searched, and can't find anything that tells us how to wire the circuit box correctly. I've got 12/2 wire going from our circuit breaker to the box. However, it calls for us to retask the neutral ( white wire ) to a live wire. Which means I've got to plug the white wire from the neutral bar into the circuit breaker.

But how? What kind of breaker is required? I don't want to undervolt it, as it won't heat the room properly. What kind of breaker to I plug in? I really don't want to take up TWO slots in my box, do I really have to?

I've wired the rest of my house. A TON of work. We even re did much of what a 'professional' did, and the inspector said the work was IMMACULATE. I'm not afraid of doing the right thing, but it seems frustrating to not find sufficient instructions.

mattkslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

wiring an in-wall heater

Yes you need to use 2 spots. You need (really should) to buy a double pole breaker. You need to check if this heater needs a neutral, if so you need x/3.

Did it spec 12 gauge? How do you know that is right?

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,052

wiring an in-wall heater

What is the model # of your cadet heater? Or can you give use the amperage and/or wattage rating of your heater. With that information we can size the conductors and circuit breaker for you.

Your heater is rated at 240 volts so you need two hot wires and a ground. If your using nm-b (romex) that will be a black, white and bare ground. The white as you said will be re-purposed as a hot leg. It is appropriate to take a black marker and color the white wire for a couple inches at each end where it terminates in the breaker and connects to the heater wiring.
You will need a double pole breaker.

Your options with that will depend on your electrical panel make and model #... but regardless it will be a double pole breaker either full size or slimline style.
It will look like one of these depending on your panel manufacturer

Do not mistake a tandem breaker with a double pole breaker

http://www.drillspot.com/products/29...tandem_breaker

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 03-05-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

wiring an in-wall heater

Both of these are from home depot. One is the 1500 Watt 240 v, and the other is 1000 Watt, 240 volt. The current wiring scheme has my 12/2 going from the box to the 1500, then a few feet over to the 1000 watt. I have those ends plugged in correctly.

I'm not certain on the box, but all the thingies in there are Siemens.

I definitely want the slimline. I'm running out of space, and can't afford a two-wide. Do they have 240 volt two-pole thingies?
mattkslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

wiring an in-wall heater

As far for Semins load centré please run us the model number for us so we can able determed if you can use the nonstandard dupex otherwise quad breaker. they are not cheap BTW but all it depending on the model number it will be on either the door panel otherwise the real legit number will be in the tub the label will be either side of the load centré.

Those thingie are circuit breaker it can be called single pole breaker or two pole breaker or tandam or twinner breaker each one will have diffrent meaning on how it useized.

The tandam breaker or twinner breaker or small two pole breakers are very tricky to deal we will get to that point after you verify us the model number of your load centré first.

Merci.
Marc
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

wiring an in-wall heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkslc View Post
We have a cadet series in wall heater ( 240v version ). The wiring instructions are lame, and the hours of their service department are even more lame.

We've searched and searched and searched, and can't find anything that tells us how to wire the circuit box correctly. I've got 12/2 wire going from our circuit breaker to the box. However, it calls for us to retask the neutral ( white wire ) to a live wire. Which means I've got to plug the white wire from the neutral bar into the circuit breaker.

But how? What kind of breaker is required? I don't want to undervolt it, as it won't heat the room properly. What kind of breaker to I plug in? I really don't want to take up TWO slots in my box, do I really have to?

I've wired the rest of my house. A TON of work. We even re did much of what a 'professional' did, and the inspector said the work was IMMACULATE. I'm not afraid of doing the right thing, but it seems frustrating to not find sufficient instructions.
I have a house full of Cadet baseboard heaters and the instructions were sufficient for their product and their point of responsibility. Cadet cannot teach you how to wire a 240 volt circuit, they do not know the codes that apply, and, if I remember correctly, there is a statement saying it should be installed by a qualified person.
Follow the advice given for circuit breakers and yes, you will need to wrap some black tape around the white wire and connect it to the one side of a two pole circuit breaker. That is how you get 240 volts for your heater.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,052

wiring an in-wall heater

Quote:
Both of these are from home depot. One is the 1500 Watt 240 v, and the other is 1000 Watt, 240 volt. The current wiring scheme has my 12/2 going from the box to the 1500, then a few feet over to the 1000 watt. I have those ends plugged in correctly.

I definitely want the slimline. I'm running out of space, and can't afford a two-wide. Do they have 240 volt two-pole thingies?
Your siemens panel will not accept a thinline double pole breaker unless it is some older vintage with which I'm not familiar.

I would consider getting knowledgeable help to make the connections and choosing the correct breaker. Even though you wired your own home and an inspector said it was quality work it is a little discerning that you don't know what to call those thingies in the panel.... I'm not sure you should be fooling with wiring in a loadcenter with the cover off.

This much I can tell you ... your 12/2 g is fine for this heater branch circuit. A 20 amp double pole siemens circuit breaker would be good protection for the branch circuit.

Got any pictures ?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

wiring an in-wall heater

Stubbie.,

In case you may why I did ask the OP for the modél number of the load centré due some of the Seamens panels I have ran into are pretty new and they do take twinners or quads breaker the key word is the model number that is the only correct anwer with this otherwise the OP is stuck have two choice either use the last two space for two pole breaker for electrique heater

Or the other option is put in subpanel if the exsting panel is about full.

Merci.
Marc
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

wiring an in-wall heater

Quote:
................However, it calls for us to retask the neutral ( white wire ) to a live wire. Which means I've got to plug the white wire from the neutral bar into the circuit breaker.

Quote:

And you say you wired your whole house?
I'd hate to see the work the "professional" handyman did.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

wiring an in-wall heater

If they can't afford that double wide thingie how will they afford to operate the heaters?

Tags
circuit breaker, heater, wiring