Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Share |

wiring up a switch from a GFCI

ok so I'm gonna add a switch from a new GFCI that i installed in my bathroom. The GFCI will be giving power to the new switch and to a closet light and plug in the bedroom. This is how it will be

main power->GFCI->new switch->sconces(small lights)
....................'->bedroom(closet light and 1 plug)

I'm in Canada so it is acceptable to have power from the bathroom to the bedroom.

So I'll be using rabbit ears to connect the new switch and bedroom power. This will stop the new switch from controlling the power in the bedroom.

Is this acceptable?

should I or can i do it another way?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Limit54; 01-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
CodeEnforcer

By the NEC Article 210.12B all habitable rooms must me powered by an AFCI breaker. Since the closet is in a habitable room you cannot tap off the bathroom circuit.
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

I'm in a 50 year old home and this was how the original wiring was set up(not knob and tub) I have just added a plug(GFCI) in my bathroom where no plug was previously there. This is how it has to be done.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
CodeEnforcer

Well it is not the right way but it can be done from the bathroon GFI. Make sure you come off the line side of the GFI not the load side.
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #5

thanks. So the rabbit ears will be ok from the GFCI?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #6

It's your choice.

1. Run the new cable from the line side hot and line side neutral of your GFCI to your switch box and the new light and receptacles (plugs) will not go dead if the GFCI trips.

2. Run the new cable from the load side hot and load side neutral of the GFCI to your switch box and the new light and receptacles will be under the protection of the GFCI.

Now up in the new switch box run continuation (cables) down to the outlet location and up to the light location.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIVOLT View Post
By the NEC Article 210.12B all habitable rooms must me powered by an AFCI breaker. Since the closet is in a habitable room you cannot tap off the bathroom circuit.
This is Canada. It is fine in Canada.

I don't know what rabbit ears are. I used them for TV reception but to connect a GFCI.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

I might have said it wrong..i don't remember the correct term but it is using a single peice of wire that connects from a outlet or switch to connect 2 or more wires together.

anyway regarding Joed's answer. I'm slightely confused now? If I were to connect the line from my new switch box to my closet light and room plug wouldn't the power be cut off to them when my switch is turned in the off position?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIVOLT View Post
Well it is not the right way but it can be done from the bathroon GFI. Make sure you come off the line side of the GFI not the load side.
Because if you come off the load side, and you use a different Neutral, at any point, it'll trip out the circuit!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #10

ok I'm still confused here?

I was pretty sure that I had right the first time.

The GFCI will have 1 line going to the switch and 1 line going to the closet(lights and plug) these line are coming from teh GFCI

then the switch going to the new lights.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring up a switch from a GFCI-connect1.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #11

Question

Limit 54 (Poster # 10) Your diagram only shows that the wiring comes off the GFCI receptacle. But there is a stipulation (As S.P. and others have pointed out) That the wiring for all other circuits must come out of the LINE SIDE of the GFCI receptacle. Then it is the same as any other junction box. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Because if you come off the load side, and you use a different Neutral, at any point, it'll trip out the circuit!
Ah, THAT'S why when I ran my bathroom fan switch off my GFCI load side it kept tripping! It's on a different neutra. Worked fine when I pigtailed it off the line side so I switched it to that.
thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
I might have said it wrong..i don't remember the correct term but it is using a single peice of wire that connects from a outlet or switch to connect 2 or more wires together.
You've got the right idea, just the wrong animal . . . it's "pigtail", not "rabbit ears".
Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsee View Post
Ah, THAT'S why when I ran my bathroom fan switch off my GFCI load side it kept tripping! It's on a different neutra. Worked fine when I pigtailed it off the line side so I switched it to that.
You still have a problem . You can not share neutrals from different circuits or did you mean a different neutral from the same circuit.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You still have a problem . You can not share neutrals from different circuits or did you mean a different neutral from the same circuit.
That's a good question. I'll have to examine it when I get home. My house was previously owned and renovated by a licensed electrician (about 10 years ago), so I have always assumed everything was done correctly.

The way the ceiling fan is wired now is: hot wire coming from GFCI Line to switch, from switch up to ceiling fan (albeit via a very LONG route that took me 30 minutes of searching in the attic to figure out). There's no neutral coming back to the switch, but there's a mess of neutrals in the box that as memory serves are pigtailed into the GFCI. One of those neutrals must be from the ceiling fan, but I can't say for sure.

At any rate, that's how it's been for 10 years and I've never had a problem -- I hope it's safe!