Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring up a new ceiling fan?

I am adding a ceiling fan to a room that had no fixture in the ceiling at all. My question is how to take my existing wiring and make it work. I have power coming from the attic (off a light) down to a switch on the wall and then from the switch power goes to the first outlet, which is currently switched. Sorry if that last part was obvious! I would like the outlet to be hot all the time and replace the single switch with a double to control the light and fan seperately.

I was thinking I would take the 14/2 that goes from the attic light down to the switch out and send power over to my new ceiling box. Then send a new 14-3 wire down to my new switch and tie it in with the wires that go from the switch to the first outlet. Sound right? Would my outlets still work?

Hope this makes sense...

jstcruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

It is always hard to describe electrical wiring in words, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
The best way to start is to sketch out a wiring diagram. Your plan sounds like it is off to a good start so long as you are aware of all the variables you may run into.

Perhaps, sketch that plan out and then post it here. (wiring only) This way it can be confirmed as feasible.

Keep in mind that if you have a switched outlet, usually only one side is switched and the other is hot all the time. The separation is made via a small metal tab located on the hot side of the receptacle than can be removed.

Also plan on installing a box in the ceiling that will support the weight of a ceiling fan.

More information along these lines will help provide you with more accurate instructions from the information you will glean from the posters.

rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

trying to upload now...having sizing issues

Last edited by jstcruzin; 10-17-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

Here we go...this is what I have now. upper left: attic light where power is going down to the switch. I made the white wire greem which is joined up at the box to the outlet. black attached to switch from attic and the goes to switch. red from switch down to outlet.
Attached Images

Last edited by jstcruzin; 10-17-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

This is what I want to do, if its right. Add the ceiling box and go from attic light to new ceiling box for fan. from fan down to switch connecting black and red to one side of double switch and them black from switch on otherside down to outlet. white passes thru. sound good?
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

You need to identify which is the switched wires to the receptical and which ones are the hot . If you only have the switched , you would have to take it off the switch and tie it to the hot in the switch box . You may need a meter and disconnect the wires and switch off / on and test for voltage .
You do seem like you got the rest figured out .
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

Do you mean the black wire coming down from the ceiling fan to the one side of the switch and then continuing down from the other side of the switch to the oulet? Would I have to run a 4th wire to the switch from the fan and tie the blacks toether, bypassing the switch so the outlet works?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #8

Thumbs up

As RSelectric (poster#2) pointed out. You should post a detailed sketch of your ideas. But meanwhile (from the information you have provided) let me throw in my Two Cents. If (after connecting your outlet to be unswitched) you could run a 3-wire cable to the (new) ceiling box. Where the NEUTRAL would be Common (for both light and fan). RED would control FAn. BLACK will control Light. Does that help? (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 10-18-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: missing word in sentence!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
I am adding a ceiling fan to a room that had no fixture in the ceiling at all. My question is how to take my existing wiring and make it work. I have power coming from the attic (off a light) down to a switch on the wall and then from the switch power goes to the first outlet, which is currently switched. Sorry if that last part was obvious! I would like the outlet to be hot all the time and replace the single switch with a double to control the light and fan seperately.

I was thinking I would take the 14/2 that goes from the attic light down to the switch out and send power over to my new ceiling box. Then send a new 14-3 wire down to my new switch and tie it in with the wires that go from the switch to the first outlet. Sound right? Would my outlets still work?

Hope this makes sense...
I pretty much figure it out what you try to do this however the attic light is that wired to be hot all the time or not ? { it do have pull chain at the keyless socket ?}

The reason why IMO you may run into couple issue with the circuit set up in case you have two diffrent circuits run in there.

I wish I can make a drawing but not good with computer programs

Is the wall recpectale is swtiched now or what?

If you want to converted to constant hot get a new receptale { do not break the tab this time } and change the connections there so you have contsat power there I know someone is good with drawing maybe they can help you with more clear details

Merci.

Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #10

You will have to figure out exactly what you have , before you know what to change .
Does the constant hot (14/2 )first come into the switch then a switch leg ( 14/2)to the receptical ?
Does the constant hot ( 14/2 ) first go to the receptical and a 14/3 ( with the receptical divided ) or 14/2to the switch ?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
You will have to figure out exactly what you have , before you know what to change .
Does the constant hot (14/2 )first come into the switch then a switch leg ( 14/2)to the receptical ?
Does the constant hot ( 14/2 ) first go to the receptical and a 14/3 ( with the receptical divided ) or 14/2to the switch ?
And how would I determine the direction the current travels?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #12

Turn off the power . Disconnect the wires from the receptical . Turn the power back on check each wire with a voltage tester to see if it is hot . Switch off/ on to see if you have a change in status . At this point check power at switch to see if everything is dead , then you know the feed is at the receptical . Check the dead wire with an ohm meter to see if you get continuity with the switch on and status change with the switch off .
How many 14/3 and 14/2s do you have in each switch and receptical box ?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
How many 14/3 and 14/2s do you have in each switch and receptical box ?
One of each at the switch. I would be running new wire as needed. Power is coming in to the switch then down to the switched outlet and off to another two outlets in the run.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcruzin View Post
One of each at the switch. I would be running new wire as needed. Power is coming in to the switch then down to the switched outlet and off to another two outlets in the run.

Here's what i got from all that.

You have a 14-2 (black, white, ground) coming from attic with constant power to the switch.

From the switch you have a 14-3 wire (red, black, white, and ground) running to the outlet.

Let's make this as simple as possible.

Here's what you need to do.

Run a 14-3 wire from your existing switch to your new fan box. Black will be light, red will be fan. This is the only new wire you need to run.

Now, here's what you do at the switch:

You will have a 14-2 and 14-3 coming from above. 14-2 is your power, 14-3 is for your fan. Connect the 14-3 to your new switch, connect black and red to which switch you want to control fan/light.

Take the black wire coming from the 14-2 above, wire nut that wire with the black wire and the red wire (14-3) coming from below (going to your outlet), as well as with a pigtail.

PIGTAIL: You will also need to make what we call a "pigtail", which is just a 6" piece of black wire stripped on both ends.

With the pigtail you will connect that to your switch which will provide power to the switch.

To summarize, you are connecting the constant power (14-2) from above with the black and red wire that feed power to below (the outlets) as well as constant power to the switch.

Then just connect your neutrals together (white) and you should be good to go.

This way you will not have to even take the cover off the outlets.

:D Enjoy

Last edited by tripflex; 10-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
Here's what i got from all that.

You have a 14-2 (black, white, ground) coming from attic with constant power to the switch.

From the switch you have a 14-3 wire (red, black, white, and ground) running to the outlet.

Let's make this as simple as possible.

Here's what you need to do.

Run a 14-3 wire from your existing switch to your new fan box. Black will be light, red will be fan. This is the only new wire you need to run.

Now, here's what you do at the switch:

You will have a 14-2 and 14-3 coming from above. 14-2 is your power, 14-3 is for your fan. Connect the 14-3 to your new switch, connect black and red to which switch you want to control fan/light.

Take the black wire coming from the 14-2 above, wire nut that wire with the black wire and the red wire (14-3) coming from below (going to your outlet), as well as with a pigtail.

PIGTAIL: You will also need to make what we call a "pigtail", which is just a 6" piece of black wire stripped on both ends.

With the pigtail you will connect that to your switch which will provide power to the switch.

To summarize, you are connecting the constant power (14-2) from above with the black and red wire that feed power to below (the outlets) as well as constant power to the switch.

Then just connect your neutrals together (white) and you should be good to go.

This way you will not have to even take the cover off the outlets.

:D Enjoy
Perfect! Thank you!! I wanted to do this but didnt know if it was ok to have that many wires running in and out of one box. I bought new "old work" that is a little bigger just in case I needed room with all the wires.

Can't I just not use the red wire going to the outlet and take it off the oulet (well I guess I'll be installing a new one anyway, but you know what I mean.