Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring up a fan/heater/light unit in bathroom

I need help wiring up a bathroom exhaust fan. I currently have a light fixture controlled by a single pole light switch. I want to add a new switch to control the fan separately from the light. I am not much of an electrician, so please explain it to me as simple as possible, a diagram would be helpfull if possible.

Last edited by chreriant3; 12-01-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Error
chreriant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #2

Wiring up a fan/heater/light unit in bathroom

Your title for the post says fan/heater/light unit, but your post says bathroom exhaust fan. To begin these are two different things. A fan/heater/light combination unit usually requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit due to the high current draw of the heater. If this is just a simple fan/light then either a 15 or 20 amp circuit will do. To answer the question of switching you need to have a three wire cable to do that. Open up the switch box and see what you have in there. If you are lucky (doubtful) then you will already have a three wire cable there. If not then you will have to run a new cable to the fixture to make it work. You also need to determine if the power originates at the light box in the ceiling or if it comes into the switch box. Check out what you have and post back your results and we will be able to help you further.

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote